In and out

Miami Travel Blog

So it was with a sad heart and a tired body that I left Bolivia - and South America - very early on a Wednesday morning. The flight was uneventful, but took all day, so I arrived in Miami in the mid-afternoon. The only reason I was staying in Miami at all was because my connecting flight to Vancouver would leave just an hour after I touched down, and as it was with a different airline, my travel agent thought it would be best to get the next flight that left early Thursday morning. As it turned out, I spent roughly 12 hours in Miami, and while it would have been nice to relax for a little longer, I would have run out of money far too soon.

The US$20 airport shuttle was an easy way to get to my hostel near Miami Beach, and the driver was very informative, telling us the best way to get into town and good places to eat. I had no idea what to expect from Miami (it hasn't exactly been at the top of my destinations list), but what I saw was pleasantly surprising: neat blocks, lots of trees, a kind of spacious feel about it. It was also quite humid. Coming from a place like La Paz, it was a real culture shock.

I met Natasha (who had flown out of La Paz a day earlier and was spending several days in Miami) at the hostel/hotel, The Tropics. We walked down to the beach, which is long, with hard white sand that kind of reminded me of concrete dust. Miami Beach reminds me of Australia's Gold Coast (except for the gold bit) - high rise hotels and apartments along the beach and a relaxed, touristy, holiday atmosphere. We wandered down the street that runs parallel to the beach, which is full of restaurants and bars and hotted up cars. The service was super friendly - oh, but I forgot that I was back in tipping culture - but the drinks were just what we needed.

We had dinner at a seafood restaurant - it would be our last meal together, before I headed to Vancouver then  home, and Tash would spend more time in the States and Mexico. My dinner almost cost as much as the guitar I bought in La Paz! At least it was good food - salmon, avocado and cream cheese sushi and lobster ravioli. Our earlier drinks and the bottle of wine we shared made us both incredibly drowsy, so we headed back to the hostel to shower and sleep. I had to be up before 3am to catch the shuttle back to the airport. And that was my Miami experience.

photo by: ellieperla