Austria - Part 1

Vienna Travel Blog

Me happily taking pain killers.
Tom and I had been looking forward to our February holiday since Christmas.  We were ecstatic to hit the Alps again and more importantly to share the splendor of Europe with Tom’s brother Mike and sister-in-law Abby.  The plan was to meet them in Vienna, Austria at the flughafen (airport) on Saturday evening.  But as with every good plan comes something unexpected and due to a minor neck issue Tom and I had the opportunity to experience the German healthcare program.  After an in house doctor visit, ambulance ride, hospital visit, two painful X-rays, cortisone injections into my neck and a variety of muscle relaxing pills and painkillers, Tom and I left the hospital only 10 Euro in the hole.
Mike and Tommy

But of course we missed our flight to Vienna and scrambled to get in touch with Mike and Abby.  This is were I really need to thank the lovely ladies at the information desk in the Vienna Airport who paged Mike and Abby various times to help insure our message reached them.  At which time Tom and I missed the train to Vienna by 5 seconds and I cried as it pulled out of the Ulm Hauptbahnhof (train station).  With every sour plan comes some luck so, Tom and I were delighted to find out there was room for us in the sleep car on the night train putting us in Vienna only 12 hours after our original arrival time.  For the day we had we thought this wasn’t too bad.

Once on the train Tom relaxed with a beer and I chased a muscle relaxor with a painkiller.
An important building
  The trip had final started!

Every time I go to Vienna I am swept away by its atmosphere and beauty.  We walked from sight to sight catching up on Baltimore news and drinking Gluhwein.  Mike was the lucky one who experienced European’s lack of responsibility for the waste of their dogs.  As he stepped back to take a picture of the three of us he lowered his heal into a steamy pile of dog doodoo.  It was pretty fresh so it went into every crevice of his shoe.  As Abby and I inconsiderately laughed, Tom was kind enough to help Mike clean off his shoe.

We ate traditional Weiner Schnitzel, drank beer, ate brezels (pretzels), goulash and Demels.  Demels is a landmark in Vienna.  People visit to sample the delicious deserts that are made daily.
Mike's poop of choice.
  Tom’s parents visited when they were on their honeymoon, Mary visited in 2004 and we joined the Demels club February 2008!

The high and low of the trip for me was the variety show we got suckered into.  While looking at the concerts being offered at the Operahaus Alexandra began talking to us about a traditional Viennese show that had all the best of opera, orchestra, and ballet.  We saw beautiful pictures of the concert hall and agreed that seeing as the Operahaus was sold out this would be a great alternative.  As Abby said so well “we drank the juice”.  Well like every variety show this one was lacking BIG time.  We entered the concert hall, which was more like a gymnasium with fold out chairs.  The orchestra consisted of 8 people with no conductor.  Our senses were overloaded with D list opera singers and ballet dancers.  We learned a valuable lesson that night and returned to the Operahaus the following evening to buy 2 Euro standing room tickets, which of course were 100 times better than the variety show.

We all agreed that Vienna was a wonderful city but now it was time to hit the slopes!!

Mikes poop of choice.
Mike's poop of choice.
The cleaning process
The cleaning process
Dinner!
Dinner!
Intermission at the variety show.
Intermission at the variety show.