Getting to Orlando for the cruise

Nassau Travel Blog

Ok, so I took the red eye flight Friday night, heavily sedated and without a nap before the flight with the thought that I would be able to sleep on the plane. Wrong. Well, I might have slept for a grand total of 3 hours. Maybe.

I arrived in Orlando bright and early Saturday morning, still thinking that I am going to make it to the Epcot center. I got the shuttle to the car rental place, having relied on my GPS to get me around and not having any maps. I was very tired, and I got into the car and sat for about 30 minutes waiting for the GPS to pick up my location so I could get back to the rental car place, and it just wouldn't do it. I got really frustrated as I am prone to do on 3 hours of sleep, and went back into the car rental place and just told them to give me a ride back to the airport. I called the hotel in the meantime and they confirmed that my room was ready, and I just wanted to sleep. So 2 shuttles, 3 phone calls to find out where the shuttle was, and about an hour and a half later, I was in the room asleep. I got a free breakfast coupon, not sure if that was because it took an hour to pick me up from a hotel that was 10 minutes away, or just cause that's what they do, and I slept for about 4 hours. I woke up, watched a little tv and then got dinner at the hotel just cause I didn't have the energy to go anywhere else, and then I was back in bed by 7:30 Florida time. I slept until about 8 am and then got out of the room, had the free breakfast and got the shuttle back to the airport.

Oh, and remember how I said that I was concerned about booking the ride back and the Kennedy Space Center tour? I did that as soon as I got on the ship and I was the first one to do so. So they told me that they have to have at least 15 people to do that tour and gave me luggage tags to get me off the ship first so I could do the trip, and that they will let me know if they have to cancel that tour the day before, just in case. I assumed that there would be enough people since they had made so much fuss about signing up early because this one fills up fast. More about that later.

So, it's getting closer to the Bahama's trip. I am leaving on a jet plane in about 9 days for Orlando.

Friday night I will fly from Phoenix to Orlando, via Charlotte for a 2 hour layover. Saturday morning I will land in Orlando around 10 am, rent a car and head out to Epcot. I will spend the day there, depending on how tired I am time will tell. I don't usually sleep well on planes, but I think I have a plan to deal with that.

Saturday night will be spent at the Sheraton Suites Orlando Airport, and then Sunday morning i will return the car to the airport and catch the Carnival shuttle to the cruise terminal.

Bahamas : 4 Day Bahamas Itinerary

See Nassau the Fun Way on a Segway! 2:30pm 4:30pm
Wed Nassau 6:00am
Wed Fun Day At Sea
Thu Port Canaveral 7:00am

So here are the shore excursions I'm doing.

Junkanoo Beach Party

Sand, surf and a whole lot of fun in the sun await you at Junkanoo Beach Club.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a 25-minute bus ride to the beach.
  • Be greeted by the sound of goat skin drums, cowbells, wild whistles, and hospitable horns – Junkanoo music!
  • Relax on your lounge chair amidst the tropical ambiance, sugar-like sand and clear blue ocean.
  • Enjoy a refreshing, complimentary Bahama Mama drink and tasty island lunch.
  • Participate in a variety of activities including volleyball, egg toss, tug of war, dance lessons, limbo and much more.
  • Soak in the Grand Bahama beat of this island paradise.

Note: Lunch and one Bahama Mama drink or fruit punch are included. Additional drinks are available for purchase.

Blackbeard's Treasure Beach and Snorkeling Tour

Live the “pirate life” for a day as you search for treasure and relax in a private island oasis.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a short boat ride to one of the most pristine white sand beaches in the Bahamas.
  • Explore and enjoy this private island’s powder-white sand, comfy beach chairs and the crystalline turquoise waters.
  • Find hidden treasure sparkling in the sand and beneath the water.
  • Don your snorkeling gear and set off on your search for treasure.
  • Take each piece you find back to Nassau and trade for a host of specials at select venues downtown.
  • Enjoy lunch from the grill and still have time for a game of beach volleyball or basketball.
  • End with a scenic ride back to the charming bustle of downtown Nassau.

Note: Minimum age is 5 years. Snorkel equipment and lunch are included. Guests must be competent swimmers.

See Nassau the Fun Way On a Segway

Discover the sights and sounds of Nassau while riding your own human transport vehicle.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a 10-minute shuttle ride from the ship to the Cricket Club.
  • Meet your guide and be assigned your personal Segway.
  • Have a short orientation and get ready to ride.
  • Cruise effortlessly from the Cricket Club to the 18-acre Nassau Botanical Gardens.
  • Glide along winding trails to historic Fort Charlotte, the largest of the island’s three forts.
  • Hop off your Segway to explore the fort’s passageways and ramparts during a complimentary guided tour.
  • Continue on your Segway through the local craft market and back to the Cricket Club
  • Purchase a refreshing drink while you share your Segway experience with your fellow riders.
  • Board the shuttle for the short ride back to your ship.

Note: Minimum age is 10 years; maximum weight is 300 lbs. Guests must be able to walk unassisted and climb one step. Pregnant women are not permitted on this excursion. A riding helmet, knee pads and elbow pads are included.

Kennedy Space Center

This one I can't book until I get on the ship, so I'm a little nervous about it because this will also include the shuttle back to the airport. I am going to go first thing and book it once I get on the ship, so I won't have to worry about it.

Visit Kennedy Space Center and experience the thrilling past, present and future of America's space program.

On this excursion you will:

• Begin with a short ride to Kennedy Space Center.
  • Be briefed, by your personal guide, on your Florida Space coast visit.
  • View the space shuttle launch pads, the vehicle assembly building and the award-winning Apollo/Saturn V Center.
  • Relive the launch of the massive Saturn V rocket and enjoy a front-row seat as man lands on the moon.
  • Meet a real astronaut at the Astronaut Encounter program, touch a piece of Mars or enjoy an IMAX space film as time allows.
  • Be transported by motor coach to the Orlando International Airport.

This excursion can be purchased onboard only at the Shore Excursion Desk anytime before the end of your cruise. The excursion will include your admission to the Kennedy Space Center and it's attractions. An airport transfer to Orlando International Airport is included with this excursion and you will be taken directly to the airport at the end of your visit to the Space Center.

My flight home leaves around 8 pm, transfers in Vegas and gets me back here around midnight Friday morning. I am going to be in town Friday but I am going to still take that day off just cause I can and I will be tired. Then the Monday after that is Columbus Day so I won't have to go back to work until the Tuesday after I get back.

Nassau