Yaay for food poisoning.

Quito Travel Blog

Last night I had my first dose of food poisoning.  It came rapidly, ravaged me for 6 hours, and equally rapidly, departed.  I haven’t felt so sick for a long time and had the most awful shivers.  Today I feel pretty tender as if I have just been run over by a bus.  I think it was probably the salad I ate yesterday, probably rinsed in the local water supply that carries bacteria that I have no immunity to.  I have also acquired the Dutch girl´s incessant dry cough and I hope it will clear up soon.

I´ve booked on a 8 day live aboard boat charter with 15 others at the Galapagos Islands.  We leave on the 11th of April and I will spend 10 days out there.  I am really looking forward to that and to doing some snorkelling and the odd scuba dive with whale and hammerhead sharks.  Not cheap, but a once in a lifetime experience and one that may shortly be prohibited altogether.   Last August the government revoked nearly all the live aboard dive charter licences and I think that this trend is likely to continue.

Quito