All packed and ready to go.

Raumati Beach Travel Blog

This morning I received the following news:

"Chavez Warns of War With Colombia

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuela and Ecuador ordered troops to their borders with Colombia, denouncing the killing of a rebel leader on Ecuadorean soil. Colombia responded on Monday with charges that documents found at a bombed rebel camp link President Hugo Chavez to the guerrillas.

"Ecuadorean soldiers run to board a helicopter in Lago Agrio, northeast Ecuador, Monday, March 3, 2008, that will take troops to Angostura, near the border with Colombia. Ecuador's President Rafael Correa ordered Sunday the expulsion of Colombia's ambassador to Ecuador and mobilized troops to the border with Colombia, after Colombian security forces killed Saturday a senior commander of Colombia's largest guerrilla group just inside Ecuadorean territory. "

The above development is somewhat concerning.  Kindly enough, Aerolineas Argentinas has helped ease my fears by sending me an email this morning to advise that my flight plan had changed.  I am now flying via Caracus in Venezuela into Bogota Colombia.  Perhaps the airline thinks that a flight going between two countries that seem to be squaring off for war will be a more exciting journey for everyone involved. One hopes the 6,000 troops and tanks Venezuela sent to the border of Colombia yesterday does not come too close to the flight path I will be taking.  One also hopes that one is not detained in Venezuela until the above breakdown in international relations is resolved. This may somewhat affect my plan to travel overland between Colombia and Ecuador also.  I will wait and see how the situation develops.

I fly out at 1:15 pm today.  I've packed up my gear.  It all fits. I hope I do not have to unpack it at the airport.

Farewell N.Z, for the meantime.

Raumati Beach