Madrid Travel Blog

Allie and I had managed to reserve tickets for the massive Picasso retrospective - it took several phone calls, because although my Spanish is OK in person, but it doesn't extend to dealing with people on the phone too well.  It was held joint at the Prado and the Reine Sofia, and it was absolutely stunning.  You could see the Picassos next to the classic paintings he was inspired by - particularly Las Menorinas (I'll check the spelling, sorry!) by Velasquez - and it was amazing, although I did vaguely hurt my neck trying to see both at once.  Allie and I decided, pretty much jointly, that we weren't convinced by Goya (although I love his paintings of the Napoleonic conflict) and that although all the dead saints were amazingly well executed, there is only so long one can enjoy paintings of people who are - when it comes right down to it - being tortured to death.  We definately preferred the Hieronymous Bosch stuff - although again, people being tortured comes in quite heavily - and spent ages looking at the garden on earthly delights, head slightly on one side, going, "What on earth is that?" at each other.

The Reine Sofia is far more both of our tastes, but we didn't have much time before it closed.  Definately on my list of places to go back to.  I'm quite fond of Dali paintings, and there are several good Picassos - especially Guernica.  Guernica has lost none of its impact.  The screaming horses and frantic women still made me feel tearful, and it is still relevant, because great powers still bomb civilians.  Stunning, stunning piece of art.

Then Allie and I went for a walk.  The sun was really, really hot, and by the time we ended up on the square with the statue of Cervantes and Don Quixote we were boiling, and in my case, slightly burned.  We had an icecream and tried to take photos into the glare, with mixed success.

photo by: vulindlela