Waco in Jaco

Jaco Travel Blog

Ok so my two days in Jaco wasn't quite a party of a lifetime but I had a great time.  This is my first time traveling solo and everyone back home is deathly afraid for me.  To be honest I'm a little afraid too.  I arrive in Jaco and stay at the hotel de hann.  Its a fairly clean place and the manager Wilson is super nice.  I spend the day just exploring the streets and watching the sunset.  I find it great to have no cell phone and no one to bug me.  Traveling solo is begining to feel pretty darn good.  At night back at the hostel I meet other travelers and manage to have a conversation with an Italian guy who dosent speak English, but we somehow point and fudge our way through Spanish.  It was great.  The next morning I'm supposed to go hang gliding but my instructor never shows up. Damn it.  I'm a little pissed but this is the only place in Jaco that offers it.  So I rent a board for $10 and spend the entire day surfing instead.  On the beach I meet some locals who invite me out to the local bars...but I never showed up cause there were just too many guys.  That night I hang out with these Isralie guys who want to get together and cook dinner so we all headed to the market and I ended up cooking for like 10 people.  It was fun and we made a buffet of food.

Overall Jaco is a very tourist friendly place where you don't need to speak Spanish to get around at all.  Its pretty hard to get lost since there is only one main street and everything revolves around it.  If your on a budget don't waste your money with taxi rides.  they are only $1-2US but nothing in Jaco is more than a 20min leisure walk away.  If your looking for whores beetle bars got plenty as well as the streets since prostitution is leagal.  And if your looking for drugs the steets are sadly covered with dealers.  Overall I had a great time meeting travelers and locals alike.  Locals are very very friendly and I felt nothing but supersafe at my Hostel and in Jaco.

Next morning is time for me to leave to Santa Elena to check out the Monteverde Cloud Forest.