Chennai, India

Chennai Travel Blog

On the way back to Chennai George stopped at the hill where the original church was located where St. Thomas had been buried. It also offered a wonderful view over Chennai, which turned out to be much bigger than I had expected. After visiting the chapel with the 'bleeding cross' that had been found nearby, he also showed me the street in a nearby neighbourhood in which he lived. After this he dropped me off at the Rain Tree so I could get some lunch, since it was already around half past 3. I told him we'd seen more than enough today and that I would take it easy; he could go home to join his family.

Lunch at the Rain Tree was brilliant. There was a buffet with a large number of - mainly Indian - dishes. I tried out a bit of at least 15, plus 5 types of desert and left the restaurant bloated like an average Ganesh statue. I decided to take a stroll around the neighbourhood and check out the art shop I'd spotted down the road. Unfortunately they had the aforementioned traditional lamps, but not in the size and shape I was looking for. Although there was much less traffic on this Sunday and it was easier to cross the street, Chennai's inner city continued to be sticky and smelly, and since there weren't any interesting shops in the close surroundings I decided to go back to the hotel, arriving soaked in sweat. I did some more reading in Kloteklanten, worked on the journal, went to the gym for half an hour on the treadmill and watched the rest of the DVD I'd started watching yesterday.

photo by: Marusya