New Orleans Aug 31 - Sept 5, 2006

New Orleans Travel Blog

Well, I suppose a late update is better than no update at all!  When I arrived back home I found that my PC would not power up and I ended up replacing the power supply..

There will be no pictures for this trip - I managed to break my camera the first day there!  I blame the alcohol!

New Orleans (and Southern Decadence) were great fun as usual.  I met a lot of wonderful people and had a great time with the people I traveled with.

I really did not see much damage from Katrina while I was there.  Besides being in the French Quarter, the only other areas I ventured to were along the river to the Riverwalk Mall and into downtown.  And to and from the airport, of course.  In the quarter I did see a few houses that were still boarded up and a few under renovation.  The biggest thing I noticed was the number of businesses that were closed.  There were a fair number in the French Quarter, but more than half of the businesses at the Riverwalk Mall were closed.  The business were not damaged, I just don't think they had employees... All of the locals I talked to seemed really happy to see tourists and everyone was just great!

I will more than likely be returning next Labor Day weekend!

AtlantaScottyV says:
You and I both know there's a LOT more to tell about Southern Decadence than this! But of course, then everyone would want to go. :-)
Posted on: Nov 02, 2006
New Orleans Hotels & Accommodations review
I've stayed at a few places in the French Quarter and I consider this a pretty typical place.  I give the hotel a 'good' rating due primarily to … read entire review