The first Surprise: Monjitas with Miraflores. Downtown Santiago

Santiago Travel Blog

The first surprise.

Getting back to Santiago from any trip, but specially from Rapa Nui, can be a sort of culture shock even if 1.- you're Santiaguina born and bred, and  2.- you've only been out for a mere fortnight.

But, back in TaHai, overlooking the ocean,  I'd promised myself I wouldn't feel down and had decided that, more than the place, the thing is the attitude.

So, that Tesday morning I decided I would effectively extend my vacations, whether Dow Jones liked it or not.

Ergo, I packed my camera and gave a cold shoulder to the tube to instead grab my bicycle.

And what do you know. In downtown Santiago, amidst the tons of grayish, style-lacking, cement boxes that surround my office building, was this corner!

Was and is...and has been for ages, and I hadn't noticed!

Ok, ok, I know it's not a masterpiece of neoclassic whatnot, but it's a discovery!

Like in a trip, I took time out to just look at it, right there, above our office-bound glances...and I loved it right away.

And guess what...? A couple of months later, it was bought and saved from house a bar and a restaurant...yeeeeeeei!

sylviandavid says:
How great to make a neighborhood discovery! Sylvia
Posted on: Feb 28, 2008