AfricaEgyptCairo

Egyptian Museum

Cairo Travel Blog

The Egyptian Museum.

The Egyptian Museum is pretty amazing!  I spend a good 5 hours in there and still did not see everything.  The amount of material there is immense and it would take many visits to take it all in.

There were a couple of things I did not like:

1. You cannot take in cameras
  2. The place is in pretty bad shape - some of those exhibits probably haven't been touched or cleaned in years.  Just a fresh coat of paint on the walls would be an improvement!
  3. Many of the cards identifying the exhibits are missing, if they ever existed at all, so most of the time you do not know what you are looking at.

Besides that, it was still pretty amazing.  I did not go in the room of the Royal Mummies - they wanted $20 USD to see that one room (admission to the museum is only $10 USD).

Outside the Egyptian Museum.
  I did spend a lot of time with the King Tut exhibit.  Now that is one part of the museum that has been spruced up.  I imagine that is their most famous exhibit.

I cannot begin to describe the number of objects that were removed from King Tut's tomb.  Thousands of things!  It was great seeing all of that close up, especially the gold and jewelry and the famous mummy mask.  There were a number of very large items in the tomb as well - beds, 3 chariots, models of boats, statues...  Everything is in the exhibit except King Tut's mummy.  They left that in the tomb.

I have pictures of some relics that are outside of the museum, but I am still unable to upload photoc - hopefully soon!

pbug31 says:
I too wish I could have taken pics at the museum. And I know I definately did not see everything. I went in July and with no air in the museum I thought I was going to die.
Posted on: Sep 25, 2007