AfricaEgyptCairo

Cairo - finally!

Cairo Travel Blog

My hotel room at the Oasis Hotel.

OK - I'm finally here, and I'm exhauted!

Cairo is HUGE!  I asked someone about the size and was told that the population is around 20 million people.  Apparently they are all on the highway trying to get to the same place!

When we flew in, my first impression was that it is so brown.  The ground is brown, the buildings are brown and most startling off all, the air is brown.  A brown that you can taste...  You get used to it though, unless you are in a car or bus, then the smell of exhaust will give you a headache pretty quickly!

It was an interesting ride to the hotel.  I don't believe I have been anywhere so different from home.

Once I got to the hotel, I had dinner and a beer and went to sleep.  Exploring will have to wait another day.

pbug31 says:
lol, I thought of the taxi rides as a piece for a cartoon as all the cars are zooming by and honking. To make 5 lanes of cars out of a 3 lane road was so funny.
Posted on: Sep 25, 2007
karulm says:
Glad you got to enjoy Cairo! Everytime I got out of a taxi there, I wanted to kiss the ground! Re the 'brown' air, I read that breathing the air in Cairo is the equivalent of smoking SIX packs of cigs a day. Mask anyone?
Posted on: May 18, 2007