Vung Tau

Vung Tau Travel Blog

Giant Jesus

For my weekend during the week, I headed to Vung Tau for a night.  The bus there was actually a mini van and was quite comfortable save the Vietnamese gentlemen who mistook my shoulder for a pillow at the Comfort Suites.  Nonetheless, I arrived and was dropped off in the middle of town because I refused to pay for a beach drop off.  I used my Vietnamese to find the general direction of Bai Sao which means Back Beach, which means the cheaper accomodation.

Checked into a hotel, although I still don't know the name, and I have the business card of the establishment.  Paid 280,000 d, which is about 17 USD; a bit more than I wanted, but I was hot, tired, and hot & tired.

Bai Sao
  I found a dude who rented me his motorbike for a slightly high amount and figured I'd get some practice driving and be able to see the town at the same time.  First stop, after lunch, was Giant Jesus Statue, which was exactly what it said it was.  It was a Giant Jesus.  Not as giant as Christo Redentor, but still giant.  After maxing out in sweat, I reached the foot of Jesus and realized you can walk in and climb up him.  Got to his shoulders, which was far enough, snapped some photos and headed back down.

I then set off to find Mulberry Beach, because supposedly it has the nicest water in Vung Tau, which isn't saying too too much.  Vung Tau is lovely, but if you want turquoise waters, do not go here.  I drove around for a while according to my map and came up empty.

Motorbike
  I spoke to a taxi driver in Englitamese, who guided me along the same path I had just travled.  Growing weary and running out of gas, I gave up on my quest for beach time and headed back towards my hotel.

Dinner was calling for me a bit later and I dropped off the bike and set out on foot to find a restaurant.  Now, Vung Tau is renown for their seafood..at least over here, so there were many to choose from, all lined with tanks for viewing prior to consumption.  I chose a joint that had a crowd and ordered the frog (because it was my first time eating) dressed with chillies and other various spices.  Now, many people say things taste like chicken, but in my opinion frog tastes exactly like chicken.  If not for the bones all attached, I could have been fooled.  I headed to Whispers Bar among a heavy dose of oil working middle aged expats and traditionally dressed Vietnamese staff, and many conversations and drinks (most bought by the house) later, headed out.

albertvn says:
I guess that is Bai Sau, not Bai Sao :-)
Sau means Back while Sao means Star.

Can you remember the name of the hotel?
Posted on: Aug 21, 2009