AsiaVietnamHue

Private Tour

Hue Travel Blog

Bun Bo Hue

What better way to check out Hue, the old imperial capital,  than through the guidings of a local.  When my friend from work said she was going back to her hometown for a few weeks, I jumped at the chance to visit, even if only for two days.

After the flight, I was guided from the airport to a hotel which her uncle arranged for me.  Everything taken care of, late checkout the following day verified, I didn't have to do a thing.

After getting picked up, we headed for some breakfast.  I was taken to one of hte most famous Bun Bo Hue stands in the city and treated to a delicious serving of Hue's signature dish.

After that it was off the the Citadel.  The Citadel is a huge complex of pagodas, tombs, ruins, etc.

Pink Lotus
  It was particially destroyed during the American/Vietnam War, but most of the buildings have been refurbished or remained in tact.

The lotus ponds and flowers are gorgeous in the summer.  Westerners, or non Vietnamese, are charged a fairly high fee of 55,000 vnd, which almost doubles the Vietnamese rate.

After the citadel was some more local cuisine:  bahn cuon, nem lui.  Both fantastic and served in a local dining establishment.

Ignoring the heat, after dinner we headed to one of the tombs located about 5 km from Hue City, Tu Duc.  This dude had 104 wives, enough said.    The grounds were beautiful and contained many elaborate structures and wide open spaces, which kinda reminded me of the northeastern United States, lots of pine trees and such.

beautiful

For dinner, I ate at her cousins/uncles Bahn Khoi restaurant, which is actually a Banh Xeo (crepe/omelet/pancake) with a different crust, and more veggies.  Also, a different sauce, which is better.

I then met her family, which is a Vietnamese family, which means that there were 100 people there in the same house.  They didn't speak English, and my Vietnamese is putrid, so it was an awkward situation.

I later ate a second dinner with her cousins.  So much food.  But not before strolling down the Perfume River at night, which was less touristy than I imagined.  Mostly locals hung out at the place and there were minimal things being sold.  And no one asked if I wanted a motorbike.

Inside the Citadel
Inside the Citadel
Dragonfly on Lotus, surrounded by …
Dragonfly on Lotus, surrounded by…
Ruins
pagoda
pagoda
fort
fort
Excellent Hue cuisine - nem lui, a…
Excellent Hue cuisine - nem lui, …
temple