Phu Nhuan Dist.

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

A breath of fresh air compared to the constant "do you want motorbike"'s erupting from the streets of Pham Ngu Lao.  I have seen about 5 westerners here in the three weeks I've called this district home.  With moving, I was forced to get a motorbike, which an am not at all sad about.  They are easy to drive (learn in a few hours) and give you the freedom to check out any part of the city, without worrying about getting overcharged, or other problems of that nature.  The best is driving at night.  The Vietnamese are up at like 5:30, which means most are sound asleep by 11 or 12, which means driving at that time is 4th gear, run red-lights, type of driving.  Definitly a worthwhile experience.

So far as I can see, there is one bar in this entire district.  Okay, probably not true, but if anyone knows of multiple, please let me know.  The drinks are suprisingly expensive for out of the city center, but you get free peanunts if the owner knows you.  Score.

Recently to my shock, I live in a mini dog alley.  I don't think I need to explain the meaning of a dog alley due to the way the situation was introduced.  Anyway, before I knew they were dog carts, I would pass by and one of the gentlemen at a restaurant would strike up small talk with me, trying to practice his english, so in the back of my mind, I thought I would eat at this dudes restaurant someday.  Well, after a long Saturday of work, that day came.  I pointed to the meat in the cart, and said "Heo", which means pork.  It looked like pork.  He said no, dog.  I said oh.  This one, pork?  He said ok.  I ate it.  I said to him, this is dog, isn't it.  He said yes.  That's the story of my discovery of the mini dog alley.  I would have tried in eventually, you know, when in Rome...

There are also some very nice coffee shops, and several pagodas.  It has also a close proximity to district 3, and isn't too far of a motorbike from district 1.  All in all, not a bad place to call home..

highway_chile says:
Funny, we have dog here in Korea as well, surprisingly tender
Posted on: Mar 02, 2009