Leg 2

Hoi An Travel Blog

Duong Hoang Deiu

I awoke and decided to check out some things, but mainly just stroll the streets of the old town.  I did more shopping than I would have liked, but ended up getting good deals, the prices were lowered significantly - I think due to speaking Vietnamese.  The women at the hotel desk later varified my excellent shopping skills.  I cannot believe I just said that.  I saw the Japanese covered bridge, and some of the free stuff.  Mostly just walked, which was fun in itself, but there were copious amounts of westerners there buying everything.  I thought about getting the historical attraction pass which allows entrance to one museum, one meeting house, one old house, one something else, and one miscellaneous.  I decided to pass due to lack of time and wanting to explore a bit more on my own.

China Beach

The two good things I did was get a real cheap lunch of Cao Lau and visit a 6 generation Hoi An House.  The man's name was Duong, and it is in Lonely Planet, and I highly recommend checking this place out.  The man is really nice and has some intersting things to say about Hoi An from the 1940's on, the house, his family, and a little on the American/Vietnam War.  Donations are not mandatory, but I advise giving something.

On the way out of town, I took the beach route and stopped at China Beach, which is close in proximity to the Marlble Mountains.  China Beach is lovely, there is an extremely gentle slope into the water and you can be out several 10's of meters and still have water barely at your waist.  There are hagglers as there are anywhere, and they try to charge you an armful for a beach chair, so be prepared to attempt to barter this down.  I then set back to Danang.

Street