Leg 1

Da Nang Travel Blog

Since I had discussed renting a motorbike from the hotel staff the night before, I thought there would be no legwork involved in renting a motorbike.  I was wrong.  The new guy at the front desk said none were available.  Thanks.  So, I got a ride to downtown and went the bar I had been drinking at on the previous night.  Closed.  I eat and go back 30 minutes later..still closed.  I try Christie's and they said then can rent me one for 100,000 vnd a day, which is a bit more than I would have liked and after sorting through some passport details with the hotel, hopped on the bike and set out.

On the way out of town, I stopped at the Cham Museum, which was a bit overpriced, but lovely nonetheless.  Guides are available for tours, but you're fine either with a guidebook that you can buy at the gate, or even with nothing, unless you are extremely interested.

10K into my journey I came upon the Marble Mountains, which are five limestone mountains that are named after the elements:  fire, water, etc.  Being coaxed by many women (older women) on motorbikes to have you park at their shop for free, and, in exchange you will peruse their sculptures, I decided to do it.  Hey, I didn't agree to buy anything.  The mountians are pretty beautiful and full of caves and pagodas to explore.  The stair climb may be heavy for the out of shaper, but all the areas are relatively close together.  In one of the caves, you can climb to the top and get a decent view of the waterside.

Da Nang