AsiaVietnamHue

Lazy day on the Perfume

Hue Travel Blog

Perfume River

After a nice sleep, I was awoken with a phone call and information about a boat and lunch and a visit to a tomb and pagoda via the river.  Sounds like a mouthful, but it wasn't.

Four of us had taken the boat upriver at a leisurely pace and with the consumption of even more food.  Some more bahn cuon, duck, sticky rice, bun, and tons of fruit and juices.  The feel on the boat was relaxed, except for the steerer trying to sell us things.  Hypocritically, I bought a few pictures, but for only 10.000 a piece.

After about ninety minutes on the boat, we entered the grounds of the Tomb of Minh Mang, but not before passing ten shops, all selling the same thing:  juice.  There were also several young children, like those in the movie Hostel.

Across lake

The tomb's grounds were quite nice, and there were many lakes and temples around.  It had a more wide-open feel and a more relaxing vibe about it than the former.  The walk around the lake, although sans path, its quite beautiful and picturesque.

Apparantely opening a door I wasn't supposed to, we scooted back to the entrance and concluded our time at the tomb.  I guess you can't go in the back door of a Pagoda???  Several nuoc mia's later, we were on the boat.

Thien Mu Pagoda was the next stop, and although beautiful and a symbol of Hue, it was pretty overrun with tourists.  People snapping pictures of everything, in hoards coming off buses and boats.  Maybe it was just the time we were there, but it was one of the more crowded places I've been.  So, again, beautiful, but touristy.  We did not spend much time there, although time enough to walk throughout the grounds and witness some of the architecture and beauty.

After sampling my friend's mom's soup, I was off to the airport, to conclude the blink that was those two days..

Posing
Posing
Nice landscaped pagoda
Nice landscaped pagoda
Lake (on landscape setting)
Lake (on landscape setting)
Many bridges