Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

Ben Thanh Market

The details of this day are cloudy, considering it happened almost three months ago, but as I remember, it went something like this..

I decided to walk around D1 for really, the first time.  I mean, I've been to places there before, but I wanted to spend a day there, taking in everything.  With this came lunch at Ben Thanh Market, which really isn't a bad deal.  The food is fresh (its served in a market!) and cheap.  They do hound you to death to eat at their restaurant, but, by that time you are used to it, having walked through the market.

I sat down at asked for duck egg..

It was brought out as the centerpiece of a small plate, garnished with a variety of herbs and one small spoon.  Also brought out, was a small dish of the seeminly universal sauce of lemon (lime) and salt.

Balut
  I was told to crack the top of the egg until there was room for the spoon to enter (makes sense, really) and just dig in, mixing the herbs with the duck fetus.

Now, I wasn't examining this thing really, it was more of a just an eat and then analyze it later.  I could see body, but unfortunatly had a good angle and didn't see any beak or feathers.  It actually tasted like a meaty egg, which, if you think about it, is exactly what it is.

I ended the day with a drink atop Rex Hotel, which was, if you may have guessed, quite overpriced.  But, the view was pretty nice and the hotel is set up so that there are some cool paintings and photographs down cooridors which you can glance at as you make your way to the rooftop.

gerabee says:
They also call this "balot" in the Philippines. I would only eat the yellow part and not the dead duck... Last time i tried I kind of felt its feathers down my throat.
Posted on: May 25, 2011
Close up, mind the blur
Close up, mind the blur
Rex Hotel
Rex Hotel
View from rooftop of Rex
View from rooftop of Rex
For 10% service charge, a picture …
For 10% service charge, a picture…
Ho Chi Minh City Sights & Attractions review
Pretty Expensive
The Rex Hotel's Rooftop Garden, while providing splended view of downtown Saigon is not worth going for more than a drink. The cheapest cocktail cost… read entire review