Relaxing in Kuta

Kuta Travel Blog

Beach in Kuta

I decided to make today a day of relaxation.  I got up at 7, showered and headed to the Hotel's open air restaurant.  There was a beautiful buffet with lots of fresh fruit, breads and a 'cook-to-order' egg station.  I had two fried eggs with Balinese chili sauce, fried rice, turkey bacon and toast.  And fresh fruit, too -- papaya, strawberries, melon and mango with fresh lime squeezed over the top.  I also had star fruit juice and coffee.  It was heavenly!

I went to the pool and relaxed with a book and my iPod.  It was a really nice way to spend a half day after all that time traveling to get here! Not a lot of great people watching at the pool today, as it was fairly empty all morning.  I had lunch pool side -- club sandwich and a diet coke.

Pool Area at Alam KulKul Hotel

My afternoon treat was a 2 hour massage at the hotel spa.  I had the vanilla/mocha massage and scrub for men.  My masseuse was a very pretty Balinese woman with very strong hands.  She started with a very firm massage with vanilla oil.  Next was an exfoliation scrub with mocha mud.  I thought my skin was going to get rubbed off -- but did it smell great -- all vanilla and mocha!  After the mocha mud dried, she rubbed me some more and rubbed all the caked on mud off of me (along with my remaining skin).  After the mud was off, she rubbed some more.  I was wayyyyy exfoliated!!  Next, she applied a thin coating of yogurt.  I fell asleep during this step.  Not sure how long I was out, but she had to wake me and take me to a hot bath with vanilla creme and rose petals.

Pathway to Spa at Alam KulKul
  It was a beautiful experience!  I soaked there for about fifteen minutes, drinking ginger tea and nibbling cookies.  From the tub, it was time to dry off and head back to the table for a massage with vanilla lotion.  It all ended with a tamarind/ginger tea.  I was so relaxed, I was not sure my legs would carry me back to my room!  I recommend it after all harrowing travel experiences!

I got out of the spa around 4:15, and found a message back in my room that my luggage had finally arrived at the airport, but I would have to go there to retrieve it.  Lucky me.  So, I got my claim tags, my rupiah and I was off to Denpasar and the airport.  I had to complete some paper work and get my bag through customs -- but it did not take too long.

Hotel Lobby Area
  Round trip in the taxi was about 40,000 rupiah -- 7.00 USD.  Not bad, considering.

I got another call from American Airline's frequent flyer desk complaining again that I broke the rules in Hong Kong by staying too long.  It took me about 30 minutes to get them to understand that I was not my choice to stay there -- the typhoon, the cancelled flights, etc.  Not sure why that was not automatic in the system after all the issues, but it seems to be resolved.

I went down to the hotel bar after at sunset for a drink and to watch the sun go down on the water.  I tried the local palm liquor -- Arak.  The drink is the Arak Attack -- Arak, lime, orange and lemonade.  It was pretty damned good!

For dinner, I had Udang Burnbu Bali.  It was prawns in a Balinese sauce with tumeric and coconut milk -- with sauted water spinach and rice.  It was really nice.  Dinner (complete with a bottle of wine and dessert) was only $20 USD!  What a deal!

Tomorrow, I am off to Ubud!

Kuta