LAX to Tokyo

Los Angeles Travel Blog

JAL to Tokyo (photo courtesy of JAL)

My flight to Tokyo was not scheduled to depart until 1:00pm, so I had about 4 hours to kill.  I went over to the Tom Bradley Terminal at LAX (the International Terminal there) and got checked in with Japan Airlines.  I have a very short layover at Narita -- only 45 minutes to make my connection to Hong Kong -- but it is all on Japan Air, and I was told there should be no problem making the connection.  Arrival time in Tokyo is estimated to be 5:45pm Saturday (one day ahead).  I was told there were typhoon warnings out for Osaka, but Tokyo was clear.

I spent some time in the JAL lounge prior to take off -- and before I knew it, it was time to board the plane.  It was a Boeing 747 and I was up in First Class.  I was seated next to a woman I had seen in the lounge -- turns out she was Governor Schwarzenegger's Chief of Staff in his Los Angeles office.  She was a delight to speak with and spend time on the trip across the Pacific.

I had a very nice meal -- and did the Japanese style meal as opposed to the western option.  I watched the Stepford Wives remake -- a very bad film, then caught some sleep.  It was a very pleasant flight until about an hour out of Tokyo when we encountered the outside edge of the typhoon that had moved toward Tokyo.  The plane was bounced around wildly -- and we were eventually diverted to Kansai Airport in Osaka.  We finally got in there about 6:30pm local time Saturday night.

wesnmacke says:
Look at you...schmoozing and croozing with Arni's Chief of Staff--wow...talk about a neat opportunity!
Posted on: May 14, 2008
JAL to Tokyo (photo courtesy of JA…
JAL to Tokyo (photo courtesy of J…