Kuta to Ubud

Ubud Travel Blog

Waka di Ume

Having my own shaving kit was so nice this morning!  My face felt like I had been scraping it with a flint rock after using those cheapie throw away plastic razors from the airline complimentary kits.  So glad to have my own razor and shaving cream!!

I had a light breakfast at the hotel -- mainly fruit -- star fruit, mangoes, papaya, guava juice and croissants.  After breakfast, I walked down the beach toward the commercial center in Kuta.  There were lots of surfers out -- Australians, Japanese and Balinese mainly from what I could tell listening to their voices.  And all of them had amazing abs!  They must not eat!!

I made it down to the Hard Rock Cafe Bali, and got the obligatory tee-shirts for my sons.

Lobby of Waka di Ume
   I also stopped at Starbucks -- it was too hot for coffee, so I had a frappucino.  The walk back up the beach was nice -- but for all of the people hawking time shares!

I was still packing up, when the bell boy came by to get the bags.  I had him show me how to eat the fruit that had been left in my room that morning -- a Salak Bali.  It looks like a leather clad strawberry.  He showed me how to peel away the leather like skin to find an almond shaped fruit.  It tastes a little like a lychee, only firmer.  It was quite enjoyable.

I got a taxi to take me from Kuta to Ubud, the town where I will join the Backroads tour tomorrow.   The ride was about an hour in length -- cost 150,000 rupiah.

My Room at Waka di Ume
  My driver was Gede, and he was quite a talker.  He pointed out the various towns along the way -- Legian, Denpasar, Sanur, and then Ubud.  He also told me about Bali's religions.   He told me the island was about 80% Hindu, 10% Moslem, 5% Bhuddist and 5% Christian.  Bali is unique as a majority Hindu island in a predominately Moslem country (Indonesia).  He also talked about the Bali bombings -- 202 killed on October 12, 2002.  It is hard to believe that I am here on the two year anniversary of that bombing.

Ubud is north of Kuta and Denpasar, and is away from the beach.  It is at a higher elevation, so is a bit cooler.  It is surrounded by a rain forest area, called the Monkey Forest.  It is a thriving artist colony.

Sunken Tub
  I saw lots of terraced rice paddies on the drive up to Ubud.

I stayed at the Waka di Ume Hotel, billed as the 'Different Resort.'  There are only 16 units in the hotel, and only half were occupied while I was there.  I had room #6 -- denoted by domino like blocks attached to my room key and the wall on the outside of the room.  My room is huge!  It has a king sized bed with a canopy, a sunken bath tub and a beautiful patio overlooking rice paddies.  It is not as green as I imagined it might be, as the rice has just been harvested.  There are lots of workers in cone shaped hats gathering the rice, beating the sheaves and putting the rice in large white bags -- then carrying it away on their heads.  It looks like very hard work in the hot sun.

View down to Pool

I had a late lunch at the hotel in an open air cafe.  It was a wonderful salad with mixed greens, avocados, and grilled chicken with a yogurt based chilled soup with dill and cucumber.  I had an Australian chardonnay with it that complimented the meal very well.

Next, it was off to the pool for some reading and relaxing.  The pool is beautiful -- it is on two levels, with water falls and an incredible view into the rain forest.  There are palm trees and coconut trees all around, tropical flowering plants and trees everywhere.  Absolute paradise!

I took a shuttle into town around 5:00 to get a feel for Ubud.  I saw the Royal Palace, toured a few art galleries and the Ubud market.  My 'Nike' sandals are wearing blisters on my feet, so I believe that I am going to donate them to the staff, and switch to my own from back in Texas!

I had a great dinner back at my hotel -- tomato soup, grilled chicken and vegetables with an Aussie claret.

Royal Palace in Ubud
  My waiter was quite funny -- he thought all Texans were cowboys and wondered where my boots were!  He had never seen a horse or snow!  He was wearing a sarong -- so I was kidding him that he could not wear that if he hoped to ride a horse, unless he rode side saddle.  I did not finish my bottle of wine at dinner, so he brought it down to my room later for me to finish.  That was a nice touch!

wesnmacke says:
Can people live at the Waka di Ume??? I would like to volunteer! Gorgeous!!!! Wow...;)
Posted on: May 14, 2008
Throne Area
Throne Area
Wildlife in Ubud!
Wildlife in Ubud!
Idol dressed up in front of the Pa…
Idol dressed up in front of the P…
At the Royal Palace
At the Royal Palace
Ubud Hotels & Accommodations review
Peaceful Resort
The Waka di Ume is located outside of the main square of Ubud and is surrounded by rain forest and rice terraces. It is in an incredibly beautiful se… read entire review
Ubud