Bali, at last!

Bali Travel Blog

Alam KulKul

It was very hot and muggy on arrival at the Denpasar Airport.  I stood in line at the customs/immigration desk for quite some time-- only to find I was in the wrong line.  I should have been in the short line with the Indonesian Nationals, as I already had my visa.  Unfortunately, there was no way to know, as there were no signs.  I cleared customs and made my way outside.

It was very crowded -- planes full of Australians, Koreans, Chinese and others all crowding through the area toward baggage claim.  I got to bypass the baggage claim today, as my luggage was still lost.  I found the driver for my hotel, the Alam KulKul, and we were off in his mini-van for Kuta.  It was a crazy 30 minute drive though crowded, crazy traffic.  Pedestrians, bicycles, motorbikes, cars, trucks, and vans and no one seems to follow traffic signals or signs!  I saw evidence of American culture -- a Starbucks, a McDonalds and the Hard Rock Cafe.

Flower Arrangement in Hotel Lobby

The Alam KulKul is a small resort hotel on Kuta Beach on the Legian side.  There was strict security to enter the hotel, with metal detectors, hand search of baggage and mirrors held up underneath the car to search for explosive devices -- all due to the Bali bombings a couple of years earlier.  The security actually made me feel more secure about staying here.

I had a nice room in the back of the hotel complex.  It has a nice king-size bed and a big shower.  I took time for a quick wash up, and then ventured out to get some clean clothes and something other than hiking boots to wear since I had no baggage.  I exchanged $100 for 850,000 rupiah and walked up to the "art corner" for some power shopping.

Walkway through Garden at Alam KulKul
  I got some rubber soled sandals labeled 'Nike' for 80,000; two pairs of shorts and a Balinese Batik Shirt for 300,000; and a stick of deodrant for 1,500 rupiah.  Good deal, I think.  They are hard bargainers here!

I walked around a bit more, then went back to the hotel for a nap.  I had a late dinner at the hotel -- a local beer called 'Bintang', and a salad with pepper crusted tuna and chicken curry.  It was delicious.

I went back to the room and fell asleep while watching the end of a movie on the tv.  I slept very well on my first night in Bali.

Flower Arrangement in Hotel Lobby
Walkway through Garden at Alam Kul…
Walkway through Garden at Alam Ku…
Bali Hotels & Accommodations review
Beach Front Boutique Hotel
The Alam Kulkul at Kuta Beach in Bali is a great boutique hotel that I would highly recommend. The hotel has amazing security, no doubt due to the … read entire review
photo by: mr_shanet