Welcome to Australia

Brisbane Travel Blog

Uncle Andrew and auntie Janet

Ok, I’ve decided to pick up my blog from here because I haven’t updated in a while and some friends have sent me email with concerns that I might have been abducted by the Japanese mafia, and my organs have been sold somewhere in south east Asia, for what they’re worth!  Sorry guys, all is good and I’m doing great, I’ve just been very busy and blah blah blah, just been bloody lazy really!

Brisbane

I’ve arrived in Brisbane on the 6th of March and I’ve stayed at my auntie’s house for the fist four weeks.

Brisbane from the south bank
 I was only planning to stay 2 weeks, but it felt so good to be back in a proper home that I couldn’t help staying a little longer, and the hospitality was great.  However I picked the wrong time to visit, just in the middle of a major house renovation.  Builders and materials were everywhere and I could tell that my uncle and auntie had had enough!  The worse part is that the builders over here start working at 6 am because it’s cooler, so if you’re planning to have a lay in… forget it!  On the first morning I woke up to the crushing sound of tonnes of gravel poured on the driveway just below my window, then when I thought it was over the shovelling begun, for an hour, it felt like they were shovelling gravel right over my head!  Anyway, apart from having to put up with the builders, which wasn’t really that bad, my stay in Brisbane was great.  The weather was fantastic, a hot sun was shining most days just as I had hoped for.

The city is lovely, very clean and organised with lots of parks and nice walks along the river.

on the street
  There’s a mixture of old and new architecture, gold-hued sandstone buildings from colonial times sit among the classic Queenslanders on stilts (so I reed in my guide book) but the one thing you notice most, is the masses of tropical foliage dotted everywhere, giant gum trees, palm and eucalyptus trees.  Waking up to all this green, sun and tropical birds singing is great, it makes you feel positive and happy, which is also reflected in the attitude of the people, ever so friendly and welcoming.  I can’t help thinking of those horrible days in Swansea, waking up in the dark, wet and cold morning, jumping in my car and rushing to work through a nervous traffic, how grim!

Amongst some of the things I did during my stay in Brisbane I walked around the city centre and visited some of the museums and places of interest just like a proper tourist; went up to the look out point on Mount Coot-tha for an impressive panoramic view of the city, cheers Jan; went to a rugby match with my uncle Andrew and neighbour Pete and watched the cheerleaders, whilst the Brisbane Broncos played in the background against the Panthers;  got hooked on the ‘Pokies’ (slot machines) and lost loads of money, though I managed to win 15 dollars one night and paid for my stake, which by the way over here are amazing; and finally sampled some of the night life in Fortitude Valley, where all the trendy pubs and clubs are, and watched an impressive band, Wild Marmalade, from Byron Bay improvise drum ‘n bass with just a didgeridoo and a drum kit, the crowd of hippies and piss-heads loved it!

aiohdmg says:
Envy!!! (^_^)

Sound likes u are so chil in Brisbone!!
Posted on: Nov 05, 2008
on the street
View from the bathroom window, thr…
View from the bathroom window, th…
Drum circle