It's Family time :-)

Port Macquarie Travel Blog

100 years old ship moored at Lady Nelson Warf

My auntie Kath cracks me up, she’s got a great sense of humour.  When I told her I was happy to cook this week she said ‘you do realise I’m on a diet’ I said ‘yeah and what’s that?’  and she replied ‘it’s a seafood diet… as soon as I see-food I have to eat it!’  :-)

I stayed with my auntie for a week in Port Macquarie and had the chance to catch up with some good old family gossip.  I hadn’t seen her in years, yet we felt very comfortable in each other’s company and we chatted away most nights like two old betties.

Most backpackers will make a stop in Port Macquarie, not that there is much to see or do, but because it breaks the long bus journey from Sydney to Byron Bay.

Port Macquarie
  However, there are a few interesting activities: for example you can pay £120 for 6 hours of deep sea fishing and come back with enough fish to feed the entire hostel; or there’s a good scuba diving course where you can obtain the PADI certificate; you can spot whales and dolphins from the lighthouse head; and for those who like padding soft cuddly koalas there’s a big sanctuary just a few kilometres outside town.  Also, someone mentioned that Port Macquarie has the biggest graveyard in Australia, quite a useless piece of trivia I thought, but it was actually a joke.  The fact is that most of the people here are pensioners enjoying their retirement, and walking around I couldn’t help thinking of a line from the film ‘The Sixth Sense’… I see dead people!

One thing I enjoyed was a long walk along the estuary break wall, to admire the art work.  Every single stone has been claimed by a resident or visitor and has been artistically decorated with personal messages.

Break wall in the distance
  There are hundreds of stones and some of them exhibit pretty impressive works of art.  I couldn’t leave Port Macquarie without painting my stone, so I chose one in second row and left my signature.  Foolishly, I picked an overcast day and I used marker pens over a white gloss spay paint.  I had just enough time to take a few photos before the rain washed my canvas clean!  So, instead of leaving an everlasting testimony of my visit, I left a sparkling white stone for anyone who feels inspired…

As always, it was sad to say goodbye to my auntie, but this time I was particularly excited about my next stop because I had a job waiting for me in Newcastle and I had to be there by ten Saturday morning.

alicegourmet says:
Sounds like your auntie Kath has a great sense of humour!
Posted on: Jul 29, 2008
100 years old ship moored at Lady …
100 years old ship moored at Lady…
Auntie Kath and me