San Jose

San Jose Travel Blog

 › entry 17 of 17 › view all entries

Getting up is the same ritual as always. Timo is awake firstly and sits on the terrace and watches the garden of the hotel to spot birds. Two hummingbirds fly past to collect nectar, six flycatchers look for insects, and a squirrel is jumping in the trees, even the smallest branches. A woodpecker checks if he can find food in a rotten trunk of an old tree and regularly parakeets fly by: the largest group was 70 species. At 07:00 Eef also is up and we head for breakfast. Bread, cheese, tomato, marmalade and coffee: Costa Rican coffee is very good and we have some with us for home, also spicy sauce and brown rum. After breakfast we pack everything for the last time. Many things in the hand luggage and in the laptop bag, the rest of the stinking clothes in the two backpacks. At nine we’re done. We pay the last costs at the hotel and check out. Now our next destination is San José. We take the road via Parrita to Jaco. A few minutes past Jaco at the bridge over the river Rio Grande de Tarcoles 20 crocodiles lie resting in the sun. It’s warm, good weather, but in the mountains via Mateo and Atenas it’s getting darker. We fill up the tank of the Bego for the last time in Atenas and easily find the way to San José and Adobe rent-a-car. We’re hungry and therefore we eat in a typical restaurant: taco with beef and pollo con queso. We arrange the last things with the car. All is OK. Yes. One of the co-operators of Adobe brings us to the airport at 13:15. We cannot check in yet, so we wait an hour. At Canada Air we can check in for Iberia flights, then pass the passport check and then the check for the hand luggage. Everything is OK and we’re here still for about three hours. With the Dollars we buy cigarettes for Roel and Linda, with the last colones we buy two Imperial and 1 hamburger. Timo writes the last parts of the travel stories and then we need to wait to board. With a delay of one hour we can get on the plane and then everybody needs to open their hand luggage to the annoyance of many people. Eventually with a delay of 1 hour and 15 minutes we fly off. Once the lights ‘fasten seatbelt’ are out, Eef is gone to the last row, so she has three seats and Timo two. After two hours in the air we get a small salad with chicken and mashed potatoes and we drink a lot. Then they put off the lights in the cabin and we can try to sleep. Because we have very good seats we can sleep for about five hours, both of us. Timo did not even notice they brought breakfast. He quickly drinks his juice. We start to descend and land at 11:30 in Madrid. Now we need to wait here too. It’s already December 4 now. There is another early flight to Brussels, but we can’t take that one, because the flight is closed (cerrado). We drink Ice-T, Sprite, Cola, Fanta and write the diary of the last two days. We wait until we can board for Brussels. We rest because we’re tired of the traveling yesterday, tonight and now we’re tired of waiting. We leave for Brussels on time, there Betty and Maurits are waiting for us. They bring us home safely and we’re glad to be back and to see Cartouche. He is happy to see us.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
San Jose
photo by: Isoinspira