Quepos Travel Blog

 › entry 15 of 17 › view all entries

We are awake at 06:30, we prepare our bags. We’ve become good at it and in less than an hour we’ve finished it; the two big bag pack and the hand luggage is done. Then we go for breakfast, usually it’s a buffet and also today. Coffee, bread, eggs, bacon and we eat well. We take a few pictures in the garden of tanagers, a squirrel and after we’ve checked out we go for a bumpy ride for about 43 kilometers to Quepos. In the beginning the road is in very bad state with deep holes, but many truck with trailers use this road. First we fill up our tank and then we start our trip. The road is bad, but very beautiful; we drive over rivers with bad bridges. Eef sometimes has a problem with the bad bridges. There is a lot of forest, but also palm plantations and we see many different species of birds only by the side of the road: smooth-billed ani, cattle egrets, fork-tailed flycatcher, turkey vulture and Eef spots a slate-colored grosbeak. Everything is going OK, because the road is about 20 meter wide and there’s always a spot where you can drive good. In less than two hours we’re in Quepos, a busy city with few streets, but it’s very busy. We first look for MAD (Manuel Antonio Divers) to arrange our dives. Always the same story: in this weather we can’t promise anything, so you’ll have to call tomorrow and we’ll check then. The other one is the same: Oceans Unlimited. Caño Island is too early and not enough people. We follow then the road to Manuel Antonio and on this road we should find our Hotel Karahé. After 15 minutes we’ve found it, we can check in immediately and get room 206. It’s only ten in the morning. We unpack and try to dry our wet clothes. With the sun, yes, yes, since this morning, this needs to work out fine. We take our things to go to the beach. The Playa Manuel Antonio is great, a big bay enclosed by two peninsulas on both sides and in front of us there is one large and a few smaller islands. We swim in the Pacific and the waves that rumble to the beach are very high. It’s nice to swim here. We load our batteries in the sun. After an hour we’re hungry and eat at the restaurant a hamburguesa and tortillas vegetales. We enjoy every moment and drink cuba libre and strawberry margarita. Then we go back to our room, get some money and buy gifts for our family: hot Tabasco, dark rum and coffee: all typical things of Costa Rica. When we drive back the rain starts – that is a constant during this trip. The diving for tomorrow will not happen. We’ve had sun until 15:00, that’s a long time if you compare to the other 17 days here. Eef watches squirrels and birds in the garden. The iguanas and lizards of this morning are sheltering for the rain. Timo falls asleep for half an hour. Just before the sunset we go back to the restaurant at the sea. We have a margarita and gin tonic. Suddenly we see in the palm trees a movement: a two-toed sloth, about three meters above the ground. He is very active now and we see how he moves from one tree to another. He finds the way to a higher tree albeit with a lot of difficulty. He can reach a leaf with the nails from his paw, then pulls the leaf and the branch towards him, leaf in his mouth and then he can move up on into the tree like in slow motion. Ten meters from here two monkeys are having fun and throw coconuts down. Sometimes they quarrel and then the beach is thrown into commotion. At this moment we drink something and don’t know yet if we’ll be eating more. It stopped raining slowly and not starts to pour. We have a vodka-orange and a cuba libre and then share a spaghetti Bolognese. We charge everything to our room and then go to our room. Everything is wet and from up the hill a small river is coming down. With the flip-flops this is not a problem. Protected under our umbrellas we arrive dry. We stay up for 15 more minutes, burn the candled, almost the last one and at 21:00 we go to bed.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: mpope9