Sawasdee BKK!

Bangkok Travel Blog

I got into Bangkok at about 11am but after going through customs, waiting for my ride and a lengthy drive from the airport, it was probably 1 or 2pm when I got to my hotel. I was able to get in touch with New and we agreed to meetup the next afternoon! After settling into my hotel, I decided to head out and explore Bangkok. Because the tour was more focused on Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos, there wasn't too much time in Bangkok so I arrived a day before my tour began to give me more time to adjust and explore the city.

By the time I was ready to leave my hotel, most temples were about to close so the staff suggested I head to Khao San Road which was around the corner from my hotel. Around which corner, I wasn't to sure. I saw a couple of people with a map and asked them where it was. We chatted for a while and it turned out they were from Sweden. They were heading to see a big Buddha and they invited me to join them so I did. From there we headed to Khao San Road. Soon after we parted ways because they wanted to go shopping at MBK.

It was still pretty light outside so Khao San hadn't yet reached its full craziness capacity. I wandered down the street and noticed a bookstore selling all kinds of travel books including the one I had (Lonely Planet: Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong) for way cheaper than what I bought it for at home! Behind the bookstore I notice a place called Hippie de Bar. It sounded familiar and then I remembered that New had written about it on Travbuddy. I was pretty hungry at that point so I decided to check it out. I had a really good meal there and it was a very relaxing place to be.

After dinner I wandered around some more, and as the sky got darker the scene got crazier. It was a Friday night so there were a lot of people out. There were tons of backpackers, road side bars promising strong drinks, little outdoor salons where you could get your hair braided or dreadlocked, several vendors and plenty of wayward-looking travelers. I loved it. Gloriously absurd. I was too tired to partake in the craziness though so I mostly just checked out the vendors' stalls and refreshed my bargaining skills. I headed back to the hotel pretty early to get some rest for a day of sightseeing.
mirnsy says:
Hi! Did you use a tour company for your trip in Asia? If so could you please tell me who it was? I'm totally amazed by your articles and pictures!!!
Posted on: May 04, 2009
YAY you met NEW!!!!
Posted on: Apr 11, 2008
Bangkok Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A relaxing refuge on Khao San Road
I ended up here two nights in a row because it was right there when I needed dinner. It's a little off the main road so it has a calm atmosphere compa… read entire review
photo by: halilee