Feeling Like a Tourist Attraction

Nha Trang Travel Blog

After breakfast I walked down along the beach. It was fairly empty and so much more pleasant. I sat down on the edge of a wall and was approached by a guy who tried to sell me a motorcycle trip up the coast. It looked interesting and he seemed nice so I looked at his information. He had a book with pictures and descriptions and nice reference from a couple who had traveled with him. Even if I didn't already have a set trip, as a solo female, I wouldn't have done it. But it's a really cool idea to travel through the country by motorbike and see all the interesting in between spots.

As I got closer to The Sailing Club area, there were more people. I saw some guy holding his phone out to me and thought, "is he taking a picture of me?" Yes, he was.
A park next to the beach
His friend was like, "stop, stop- my friend is taking a picture of you!" I also started to notice locals, usually young, pointing at me and giggling. I was used to stares and wide eyes on my trip, but not this. After hearing other people's stories, I think it's possible that it was my large sunglasses that were so funny to people. It never seemed malicious, but I didn't know what to make of it. All these reactions to me were making me feel on edge, but even worse were all of these older tourists or expats who stared at me like I was from another planet. I was starting to feel self-concious in a way that I haven't felt since my awkward teen years. Were there crumbs all over my face?

I decided to get away from the beach and walk into town. I had lunch at a small cafe, walked around some more and headed back to the beach where I ran into The Kids.
Yummy lunch
I hung out with them on the beach in front of The Sailing Club. This stretch was much more crowded with tourists but surprisingly, no vendors were around. Maybe they are not allowed to sell in that section. We hung out for awhile before meeting up with my roommate and The Canadians for dinner, again at The Sailing Club.

Later, we headed to our hotel to gather our stuff and head to the train station. We were heading to Hoi An. We arrived to the station and had a lot of time to kill. The Canadians, who were roommates on the trip and didn't know each other beforehand, had both brought the book Eat Pray Love. So we entertained ourselves by taking pictures of them pretending to read the book at the same time. I know that sounds lame, but it was funny at the time!

We boarded our train and found our cabin.
The Canadians pretending to read "Eat Pray love" for the benefit of a picture ;)
It was much less clean than the first train. Unless you get on at the first train stop, there is no guarantee that your room will be clean with fresh sheets because people get on and off the train along the trip up the coast. This was the case for this ride. There was also a wierd rug on top of the mattress. We rolled up the used sheets and the rugs and tossed them aside. The bed bug potential didn't appeal to us. We spread out towels and things over our beds and I used my sarong as a sheet. I didn't really need it because it was really hot and humid on our "air-conditioned" "first class" cabin! Also, next door our neighbors were feasting on durian so once again I fell asleep to the lovely aroma... Oo-oo that smell. Can't you smell that smell?
Yummy lunch
The Canadians pretending to read …
The Canadians pretending to read …
Nha Trang