Driving to the Border

Aranyaprathet Travel Blog

American Fried Rice
We left early for a long drive from Bangkok to Siem Reap. We split up into two vans for our drive to the border. I can't remember too much of the scenery because we were all busy talking and getting to know each other. We stopped once at a very Western style gas station and rest stop where my roommate got excited over the "crisp" selection. She was a big fan of chips. Because the rest stop was so modern, when I went to the bathroom I expected a toilet with a seat. No such luck. I had the first of many squat toilet experiences. I realized it was something I would have to get used to.

When we got to the border on the Thai side, we had lunch. The menu wasn't descriptive and I wanted something interesting so I chose chicken wrapped and grilled in some sort of leaves.
Typical mannequin in Thailand!
The Kids (two 19 year olds from England) ordered "American Fried Rice". I had learned after witnessing other people's bad experiences in France to never to order any food labeled "American" when I'm abroad. It's usually terrible and involves a barely cooked egg. Sure enough they got their rice and it had an egg on top, it was red, and had a chicken wing on one side and a small hot dog on the other. I had a laugh at their expense and then took a picture of one of their plates before I let them take a bite and determine that it was inedible. It's flavored with ketchup and it has raisins in it. I read later about American Fried Rice and apparently it was created for American soldiers during the Vietnam War. It was their way of combining a bunch of things that Americans supposedly like into one dish. I guess now it's a popular dish with young kids in Thailand. I was the last to get my food- they don't seem to make an attempt to bring out food together South East Asia and if you're starving, you'll probably be the last. The chicken came with three dipping sauces and each piece was wrapped individually which made it hard to eat but it was good.

After lunch, we walked around a market where there wasn't anything interesting to buy. It was really really hot and everyone was tired so we rounded everyone up and walked to the border. There were a bunch of little kids following us, begging for food and money. Getting stamped out of Thailand was quick and efficient. We walked to the Cambodia border and we were excited when we saw a sign that said "Kingdom of Cambodia". The process of getting into Cambodia was much slower and the room we had to wait in wasn't air conditioned. I think we all got visas at the border and we had to fill out arrival cards which took time. It was also slow getting stamped in because there was only one person working.
Aranyaprathet