Beautiful Kuang Si

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

In the morning, I met with the Japanese/Swedish group to go to Kuang Si Falls. A songthaew driver had been following us down the main street asking us if we wanted to go to the falls. We agree to go with him after the rest of the group had a chance to eat breakfast. A group of girls, unsurprisingly from Sweden joined us in the songthaew. From town, I think it took about an hour to get to Kuang Si. It's a bumpy ride on the songthaew so be prepared for what I like to call "numb bum".

Before we got out of the songthaew, we arranged a time to have our driver pick us up. The Swedish girls were adamant about staying for several hours and we agreed.
"Don't Swim Area"
I wasn't convinced we needed that much time there, but hey, everything's cool in Laos. We paid the entrance fee and then walked up a path to one of the waterfalls. We went up to the top where you can go swimming in a pool of clear water. It was sort of overcast that day and the water was really chilly. I stuck my toes in it but didn't get in.

We walked back down and it was more slippery after my feet had gotten wet. I recommend wearing sturdy shoes when you go there, especially if it has rained recently. We were walking back down the hill towards the entrance and went to investigate what sounded like another waterfall. It was beautiful. At this section there is a larger, easier to access swimming area and rope swing. A while back, before I knew much about Laos, I saw a picture of this particular waterfall.
I found out it was in Laos and it prompted me to look more into the country.

We also saw the Indochinese tiger which is said to have been rescued from poachers. We signed the guestbook there and flipped through it to see locations of people from all over the world who've visited the falls. The falls are lovely, but as I suspected, we didn't need to be there for so long. But I guess if it was warmer, we may have wanted to swim more. We went back down to where we were dropped off and had lunch there before heading back to Luang Prabang.

When we got back into town, I took the long walk back into to my guesthouse. I was short on time before meeting with everyone for dinner and decided to cut across the park near the guest house rather than walk around it as I had been.
There were lots of activies going on- a dance aerobics class, team sports, and a makeshift theme park for kids. The kids called out, "hello!" as I walked by. It was such a wonderful change from my first day in Luang Prabang when kids literally stopped in their tracks and looked at me with fear. People had definitely gotten used to seeing me walk up and down those streets!

I joined most of the Swedish/Japanese group for dinner at an Indian restaurant, plus a few more people from Japan. We had another interesting dinner conversation that night. Among other things, we discussed how traveling with people is kind of a backwards way of getting to know people. I don't know if it's the nature of traveling or if it's the type of people who like to travel, but it always seems like you skip the small talk and get right into meaningful conversations when you're abroad or in the presence of travelers.
Kaoru and I

The only thing that I think compares is freshman year of college in a dorm, but even then, you are not usually in foreign environment dealing with all sorts of cultural issues. When traveling with someone, you quickly see all sides of them and their wierd habits, before you even know basic info like their last name or how many siblings they have. I think it's great because at the end of traveling with someone, if you still like each other even after discovering each other's numerous flaws, you can make great friends from all over the world.

After dinner, I had some fun at the night market before rejoining the group at Lao Lao Bar. It was generally the same crowd from the night before. There is an indoor part of Lao Lao Bar, but most people hang out at the tables outside. We were having a great time until it started pouring. We rushed for cover underneath a veranda and left when the rain subsided.
Dont Swim Area