Amazing Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya Travel Blog

Wat Phra Si Sanphet
For my last full day in Thailand, I wanted to take a day trip away from Bangkok. I considered going to a floating market but in the end, I decided to visit the ruins in the city of Ayutthaya. At the Hualampong train station, the ticket agent immediately asked, "Ayutthaya?" when I approached. The ride is two hours and the ticket cost just 15 baht which is about 50 cents.

I walked over to the tracks and a train conductor called me over and asked, "Ayutthaya?" It seemed like everyone at the station knew I was heading there. I guess it was the most logical destination for a foreigner at the train station with just a day pack. He checked my ticket and showed me to 3rd class.
Only tourists and a few vendors were in this section. All of the people from Bangkok were sitting in the more comfortable 1st and 2nd class cars. I think you have to book the nicer seats in advance and they cost slighty more.

I asked a group of Japanese guys if they were heading to Ayutthaya. They said yes. It's always good to know there is someone on board heading to the same place. We headed out and eventually our third class car filled up with locals from the various stops. The train conductor came to let me know when we arrived Ayutthaya.

I took a tuk tuk from the train station to Wat Phra Si Sanphet, the largest of the temples in Ayutthaya. The colors of the bricks and discoloration of the buildings gives the temple a magical quality against the sky and through the trees.
After leaving the temple, I bought an ice cold water from a vendor outside. I sat down on the sidewalk to drink it, and a young woman came and sat down beside me and asked a bunch of questions. She was delighted to find out we were the same age. We chatted until she ran out of questions to ask me in English.

I wanted to go to Wat Mahathat next, home of the famous Buddha head engulfed in the roots of a tree. On my map, it looked like I could walk to this temple so I turned down tuk tuk rides and decided to head out on foot. It is very walkable, but the walk was shadeless and the sun was extremely hot. When I got there, I sat down and enjoyed a much needed chilled coconut.

Inside the temple I worked my way around it clockwise. I walked by leaning towers, rows of headless Buddhas, and a couple of imposing Buddha statues that were more or less intact.
At the end, I finally came across the Buddha head in the tree. It is so interesting, it looks like it's part of the tree.

After Wat Mahathat, I decided I should head back to Bangkok. When I got there, I discovered that I had just barely missed a train and it would be awhile before another came. I debated going to see another temple, but I didn't want to miss another train and then miss the farewell group dinner in Bangkok that evening. On the way back, you can't purchase tickets until a certain amount of time before the the train arrives. I was relieved when I finally saw people lining up for tickets. There are definitely more comfortable ways to go to and from Ayutthaya, but the train provides some interesting people watching.
Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Parts of a Buddha statue that was …
Parts of a Buddha statue that was…
Chedis