Backpacking? In Southeast Asia?

San Francisco Travel Blog

I thought it was time to see something new and different from the places I had been to and going to Asia seemed like a natural next step towards experiencing the world. I was enticed by the scenery, architecture, food and history of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. One month is hardly enough time to see all of those countries, but I wasn't sure how I would feel once I arrived and I didn't want to go alone. So I thought a 30 day tour would be a good way to get a taste of each country. It was a small group tour where guesthouses and transportation were arranged and then the rest was up to us. There were a lot of long drives on the trip, but this was part of the appeal because sometimes you see much more this way!

Because of all of the moving around and the possibilty of questionable accomodations and transport, I decided to "backpack" for the first time. This created a lot of fear in me. It's sad to say, but I am quite fond of my large suitcase. It has been with me through many amazing journeys, like an extension of my arm or something. I'm not a typical "backpacker" in the hiking/camping sense or otherwise. I'm still learning how to pack appropriately and my friends and family questioned my ability to fit a month's worth of stuff in a backpack. I had my doubts as well. But it just seemed like using a backpack would it make it easier for me to get around. And I thought it would help me get a better idea of what's really necessary. After some searching online and in stores, I found a great deal on a women's backpack at REI. I rummaged through the travel and outdoor stores picking up things I thought I would need. After packing and repacking many times, I was ready to go, but totally unprepared!
RioDomingo says:
grrgh! i'm doing the same thing!.. kinda first time backpacking.. yay!
Posted on: Aug 30, 2008
Gambla17 says:
I'm hoping to do a trip like this in the future. I've only read the first few entries, and I'm already hooked :)
Posted on: Jul 30, 2008