City of Angels, Far East Style

Bangkok Travel Blog

A Demon Guard holding up a Stupa at the Grand Palace

This was my second trip to Bangkok, and I remembered the city just as vividly as the first time I'd been back in 1992! This return trip was again with my Mum and Dad and we saw many of the same things we did first time round, including the Grand Palace, the Emerald Buddha, the Night Market at Patpong (except this time I understood what the Ping Pong tricks were!), but this time we went to Ayutthaya, the former capital of Thailand (more in next blog).

Many of my photos were the same as the ones in my 2001 Bangkok page further on in this blog.

Unfortunately, this time around, I wasn't very well during our trip...I thought it was just jet lag, and the day we were at Ayutthaya I thought I was taking a migraine and ended up lying down on the grass at the royal summer palace with my eyes shut, and slept the whole way back to the city on the deck of the boat trying to cool down and keep quiet. There's a picture of me and dad asleep in deck chairs, both with a slack jawed look of death about us!

I was really off my food all but one of the five days we were in the city, and I'd be hungry but as soon as so much as a piece of bread was put in front of me, my insides flip flopped, I got hot and clammy and had to go up to the room to lie down. I was drinking loads of water but was always thirsty. I didn't let it keep me in though, and we had a great time, but I was glad to get home.

I ended up spending a whole day in bed thinking I had a migraine when I got home (I was photo-sensitive, had a headache and felt sore all over), and when I got really stiff, Dad thought it was just because I'd been in bed all day. Mum (a teacher) was a bit suspicious but the emergency health call doctor said it sounded like summer flu and said to give me an asprin and if I wasn't asleep within an hour to take me to A&E/ ER. I did fall asleep because I was absolutely EXHAUSTED, but when I got up the next morning to take a shower I passed out, crashed through the plate glass door and came round in a muddle of glass, water and blood on the bathroom floor, realising I'd bitten through my lip and cut my hand. I managed to phone my Mum and work who came home and found me sitting at the bottom of the stairs still clutching the phone, sobbing, shaking and wrapped in a bath towel. She had to dry my hair and get me dressed and took me up to the doctor, because by this point I could hardly move. When the doctor saw me, he sent me straight to the infectious diseases ward at our local hospital - I had viral meningitis. I spent 5 days and 4 nights in isolation, hooked up to a drip and fainting every time I tried to sit up or get out of bed after having a lumbar puncture/ spinal tap. Once I got him, there was a real scare that I then had bacterial meningitis as I had huge levels of meningococcal bugs in my throat but home treatment with massive doses of antibiotics got rid of it. I spent another week in bed after I got home.

The doctor said I could have picked it up in Bangkok, it might have been something I got at home...either way I was glad to be rid of it!

mfmcp1982 says:
It was meningitis-causing bacteria, not very nice!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2008
row-zzzzz says:
what type of bugs living in your throat ... Did you go in the hot summer?? What an experience ,,,
Posted on: Mar 03, 2008
A Demon Guard holding up a Stupa a…
A Demon Guard holding up a Stupa …
Bangkok