Benalmadena Pueblo

Benalmadena Travel Blog

No Name Nina

We woke up this morning to another wonderful day in España. The weather was in the 60s, the barest hint of clouds in the robin’s egg sky, and a slight breeze bringing in the scent of the Mediterranean. The sun was just starting to warm the earth, and I knew it was going to be a beautiful day. How could it not be when you’re in Spain?

Today we decided to explore Benalmadena Pueblo. There was supposed to be some good shopping, restaurants, and a pseudo-castle to check out. I say pseudo because it was never a residence or a fortress…in fact, the Castillo Monumento Colomares is just what is says it is: a monument in the shape of a castle.

Castillo Monumento Colomares
Although it never housed a royal family or anything much more than a bird or two, it still looked like something to check out.

Because it was such a nice day, we decided to ask the leisure desk if we could just walk it. Looking at us like she was amazed someone without a brain could speak, she said in flat, slightly accented English, “walking is not possible.” Don’t ask me why this amused us so much, but the phrase struck us as hilarious, and we are still joking about it!!

Not to get too off track, but I should probably explain that my husband and I tend to collect phrases. For some reason, we find some funny saying or sign, store it in the backs of our minds, brush it off after a while, and find ourselves laughing about it all over again years later.

More of the Castillo
We’ve done this for years, and although they’ve never been written down, funny phrases from our very first trips still pop up all the time. I know, without a shadow of doubt, that this lovely woman had just added a perfect nugget of a phrase into our idiosyncratic collection of sayings.

Anyway. Back to the story…

The leisure desk lady pulled out a map and patiently explained the new bus route to us. It wasn’t tough, and we only had to get on one bus to get there. So, we hitched up our daypacks, thanked her for her time (and her lovely addition to our quirky collection), and headed out into the sunshine. A mere 30 minutes later, we had wound up the side of a mountain and found ourselves dropped off in a lovely little Spanish square.

Us in the Castillo

Not having a clue how to get to the Castillo, we meandered about for a while. We ended up finding this lovely, little fountain. She was called the Niña de Something, but for the life of me, I can’t remember her name. I guess she’s pretty well known there because there were lots of postcards with her pictures. But not well known enough for her name to stick in my mind…oh well. Past No Name Niña, we came across a charming little mission, surrounded by a garden. It just so happened to have a phenomenal view of the town beyond…and the Castle! Ah-ha!

It was about ½ down the hill we were on, so we took the outside elevator down to the main street level and hiked down to the castle. It’s really cool! I’ve never seen a monument like it! Back home, monuments are usually slabs of marble or granite with the names of dead people on it…real cheery.

This was a whole castle done in miniature! Ok, not exactly miniature, it was big enough to be a very large house…or a very small castle. Unfortunately, when we got there, there lady arming the gate said she was about to go on siesta and we would only have 20 minutes to enjoy the castle. “Still want to see it?” she asked. Oh yeah, 20 minutes. Bring it!

In the next 20 minutes, we bounded from spire to spire, climbed on the walls, pounded around the corners, shot about a hundred pics, and laughed the whole time. Thankfully, we were the only ones there ‘cause we would have probably plowed over any other bystanders at the rate we were going! The lady must’ve thought we were insane! Breathless and still giggling, we made it back to the gate just as the woman was getting ready to lock it. What a hoot!

We spent the rest of the afternoon perusing the shops and winding our way through the cobbled streets.

We were in no hurry, and we were happy just see where the afternoon took us. As early evening settled in, we hopped back on the bus and headed back to the coast.

We ate in one of the resort’s restaurants that night. The food was good, and the ambiance was about average for a hotel restaurant. There was live music, which I normally enjoy except that this was a plump platinum blond lady wearing a dress that could only be described a discoball-chic. She had the soul of a diva and the voice of an alley cat.

After slaughtering Patsy Cline’s “Crazy,” we decided enough was enough and retreated to our room. Calling it an early evening, we crawled into bed. We had to get up at the crack of dawn in the morning for the next adventure...Next Stop: Morocco!

Us in the Castillo
I guess they had to add a ship sin…
I guess they had to add a ship si…
Me on one of the towers