Malaga – first evening

Malaga Travel Blog

The view from my Balcony

The flight from Hannover had went much easier and better than I had dared to expect; Air Berlin had really been a pleasure to fly with and I was In great mood went I arrived in Malaga Airport.

I had rented a car from Sixt and I was happy to see that my suitcase was one of the first to enter the baggage belt, so it didn’t take me long to leave the arrival area and head for the car rental area. Last time I had been there was May last year for my brothers 40th birthday and then the queue for the car rental had been huge.

This time there was only one line that had a long queue and that was a local company that I didn’t know. I had done a web booking so I headed straight towards for the parking area of the rental cars and found straight away the Sixt due to their bright orange colour.

Street light along Paseo del Parque

I went to their booth and handed over a credit card, my driver’s licence and my passport and got the keys to the SMART I had rented instantly. I was a very swift service. The SMART was brand new; it had done 6 kilometres so I hardly could complain.

As soon as I sat in the car one of my friends called and said that they headed for the spa at the hotel because they had been out walking the whole afternoon. I unpacked my GPS and keyed in the address of my hotel. The GPS indicated that I would be at the hotel in 20 minutes but I took me close to 30 minutes due to the traffic but it was quite okay.

The SMART drove great and I missed mine which I left in Brussels with a friend because I didn’t feel like paying more in tax to bring it in to Denmark than I paid for the car when I bought it in Belgium.

Paseo del Parque

I had been several times in Malaga over the years but actually never stayed in the city centre or close of that. The last couple of times I stayed in Estepona or Belnamedena. Traffic was not so bad in the inner city as I had anticipated so the biggest issue was to find a parking as close to the hotel as possible and the SMART made that quite easy.

I entered the hotel that looked pretty mighty in the small street and it turned out that it had 12 floors overlooking the old part of the city to one side and the bull fighting arena to the other.

I entered the stairs and was greeted by a smiling bellboy that wanted to take my suitcase. The reception was just around the corner of the entrance and the receptionist turned out to be a thorough man making sure everything was alright and he was focused on service as well.

Malaga Cathedral
Luckily I was given a room up on the twelfth floor; I could not remember when I was given a room of the top floor last.

There were two elevators in the hall, and they were both very slow; I could not help to think 3 weeks back when I was in Dubai and in Burj Khalifa. I guess this elevator used as much time getting up to the twelfth floor as it took to get up to the observation platform at 124th floor in the tallest building in the world.

When I got out I could smell that the pool and the spa area was situated on the same floor. My room was just next to the elevator which was another pleasant surprise. I open the door to my room and continued to smile. The room was large, clean and kept in nice lighting with white walls and red curtains and bed sheets.

The view in the room was blocked by the curtains and when I pulled them away it turned out that I had a stunning view over the old Mauren castle and the city with the cathedral to one side and the water to the other.

Malaga Cathedral
There was a balcony which I could not wait to step out on just to smell the wonders of the coming weekend.

The room felt nice and spacious; there was a huge closet and a minibar where I found a cold beer to enjoy while I unpacked. There was a small desk in the corner and a old TV which I didn’t use for my entire stay. The bathroom was nice and okay in size with a bathtub.

I finish my unpacking when I received a sms from my friend Marc that he was waiting for me in the hotel bar on the first floor together with his son Maarten. I went down there shortly after and it was nice to see them again; I had not seen them since the day before New Year’s evening when I was in Mechelen the last time.

We ordered some beers and waited for our friend Manu that is known for taking his time.

Malaga Cathedral
Manu came and I was happy to see him because I hadn’t seen him for more than a year.

We decided to walk to the city centre that was not more than 1 kilometre away from the hotel. It had started to rain not much, but just enough to make the streets look shiny in the dark evening. We walked along the Paseo del Parque which was really beautiful with palms, wonderful buildings and not at least the up-lighted ancient fortification. We headed for the Cathedral and the small streets in order to find some Spanish tapas; none of us were in for a huge meal we had the eyes and stomach focused on cold beers and various wonderful tapas.

We quickly found a place that suited our eyes and senses. We took a standing table that was situated outside; it was not warm at all around 14 – 15 degrees but there was shade for the rain and a heater which made it great.

Malaga Cathedral
The ambiance and the atmosphere in the city centre was fantastic; it was the last days of the carnival and the streets were buzzing with young people singing and just being happy.

We ordered a fair amount of different tapas and the food was delicious. It was great to be back in Spain again; this country is just awesome, I have so many happy memories from there that it is crazy. It was also super fun to be together with boys again; I used to play almost weekly with them when I was living in Brussels and the stories we have together are numerous.

After a while we went on for a walk in the city centre before we again entered a small place where we liked the authenticity. The bar was quite rough in its appearance but the girl behind the counter was wonderful to our joint point.

The little square near the Cathedral and Museo Catedralicio
The bar was empty when we entered which was nice because we could talk but it turned out to be a completely different place later at night when it became one of the most crowded places in the city centre.

We stayed there for a while and left before it became too crowded and headed back to the streets where we had eaten earlier in the evening. Next to the place where we were there was another nice bar that was full when we wanted to visit it the last time. It was now getting close to 1 pm and they were closing down but they let us come in for a beer. After the beer we walked back to our hotel and turned to our rooms and beds; we had a long day ahead of us and therefore decided to meet up at 9.30 am at the breakfast in the hotel.

Malaga Cathedral
The little square near the Cathedr…
The little square near the Cathed…
Street art
Street art
People in the streets
People in the streets
Marc, his son Maarten and Manu
Marc, his son Maarten and Manu
Street view
Sitting outside enjoying the stree…
Sitting outside enjoying the stre…
A great party square
At Teberna Mitjana
At Teberna Mitjana
Wet streets of Malaga
Wet streets of Malaga
Walking back towards the hotel alo…
Walking back towards the hotel al…
Street café
Next to my hotel
Next to my hotel
My hotel
My hotel
Looking down at the street from th…
Looking down at the street from t…
Looking down at the city from the …
Looking down at the city from the…
The hall outside my hotel room
Our friend
Our friend
Malaga Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Another Andalucian Pearl
Pepa y Pepe is a traditional Andalucían restaurant or bar where you will find what you search if you are looking for authenticity in the Spanish way.… read entire review
Malaga Sights & Attractions review
Another one that bites the dust
The Malaga Cathedral or as it is popularly known La Manquita is huge to put it mildly and yet they have managed to put it into the centre of the inner… read entire review
Malaga Hotels & Accommodations review
A very nice hotel situated close to the beach and city centre
I had no prior knowledge of the Hotel MS-Maestranza before I entered the hotel or any other hotels in Malaga. My friend Marc had booked this hotel for… read entire review
Malaga General Tips & Advice review
Fast and great service
Strangely enough I have never booked a car with SIXT before I used them in Malaga. In general I have always liked their commercials and the selection … read entire review
Malaga Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Good tapas and great atmosphere
The first stop we made after entering the old part of Malaga was at the Taberna Mitjana in Calle Caldereria. We were quite hungry and also looking for… read entire review
Malaga