Seoul Decision

Seoul Travel Blog

Korean cherry blossoms

It has only been a little more than a month in Seoul, but it already feels like home! Seoul is quickly becoming my new London (in case you were not aware, I have had a ridiculous addiction-love affair with London over the past 5 years)...but Seoul has already developed a very special place in my heart.

Ever since I was a junior in university, I have always dreamt of just packing up, moving to another country, and teaching English. The idea of living and learning about another city and culture has always fascinated me. When I learned just how easy it was to find a job and move, I promised myself that, no matter the circumstances, I would just do it - I would make it happen.

Liz and me
No one makes things happen for you, opportunities don't just knock on your door every morning and say, "Here I am. If you don't want to take me, its okay. There will be more to choose from every day." You have to find and create opportunities for yourself and you have to make things happen for you because that is the only real chance you have at living life to the absolute fullest and discovering complete happiness and fulfillment.

Despite the few rough months I had before moving here, this is, genuinely, by far the best decision I have made in life thus far. While it is not easy being away from home, I couldn't have found a better city to take this challenge in. Yes, the promise of a good job paying good money and housing definitely influenced my decision to move to Seoul; however, I will forever be thankful for all the reasons and factors that got me here.

Seoul is unlike anywhere I have been. The people here are unlike any I have ever met. The children I am teaching have no idea how much they are truly affecting my life in the greater sense of things. It has only been 6 weeks, but I am already forever changed by everything I have experienced. I can't help but anticipate the weeks and months ahead. I can't imagine what they will bring as I have already been taken aback by everything so far. I have to keep reminding myself to just live to the fullest this temporary life of mine and fully embrace every moment I am so fortunate to experience...

If I could share one thing I have learned from my journies so far, it would be to trust yourself, let go and trust life - trust that no matter what, at the end of the day, everything will be okay.

It breaks my heart when I witness people too initimidated to let go and experience the life they have always dreamed. Even if it seems impossible, everything is always in reach, and it is often the journey of reaching for something that is the most memorable, inspiring and altering. Even if you can't find a way to reach that one thing you want, life has a funny way of leading you in the direction of something else - something even greater. But in order to accomplish any of this, you have to first develop trust - the most important thing to have in life is trust in yourself. Trust that if you follow your heart to achieve your dreams that everything will be okay. Moreover, trust that even if you don't reach your dreams, life will still be okay. Life will introduce something new, perhaps even greater. I had so many second thoughts before getting on that plane in Boston destined - eventually - for Seoul. I couldn't help but think of all the things I could do at home in place of moving to Seoul...but with every thought I had, my heart just wouldn't agree.  I would never have forgiven myself had I walked away from that flight. I knew if I took that risk and put myself out there, everything would be okay. Years ago, I learned to trust myself and my heart, and now I make sure to do something challenging every year to continue building that trust. It really is amazing to watch what happens and see what you can accomplish if you just trust and believe in yourself, and simply let go.

"Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute for experience." - Paulo Coelho
"Take what you can from your dreams, make them as real as anything..." Dave Matthews

Seoul