Spain: Toledo

Toledo Travel Blog

Toledo

One of my favorite cities in Spain, this small and charming medieval city made me speechless when I first caught a glimpse of the city view with the dark rain clouds as its backdrop.

Having been to quite a lot of cathedrals and basilicas (especially that Italy trip I had gone to last 2005), most churches have become a blur to me. But this cathedral in Toledo wowed me. The halls with massive columns looks eerie amidst the ray of sunlight going through the stainglass windows. The intricate carvings on the marble walls depicting of some religious significant event or people. The rows of shiny, dark-colored wooden seats in the central altar contrast against the bright and shining gold carvings and large organ on the wall.

Toledo city view
The gold plated carvings in combination with white marble and of the Virgin Mary, baby, Jesus, and the cherubs was a visual overload. Everything was grand and larger than life. I loved it!

As we walked along the narrow streets of Toledo, where we often found ourselves leaning against the walls to let cars pass by, we found a small cafe and simply had to have a snack - I do love Spanish merienda. A tradition that I grew up with and is still practice in the Philippines - more often for school-age children. Since I don't drink coffee (it gives me headaches) - I had my chocolate caliente con churros! My sister and other firends with me bought some pastries and we shared it amongst ourselves.

We also shopped! I did most of my shopping here in Toledo - where they are famous for their swords. And yes, I bought a sword! It is a stainless steel, about 3 feet long, and very medieval-looking with the word "Toledo" and "El Cid" carved on either side of the blade (photo added on here). I also bought some small trinkets to give to friends back home.

It was a fun, cathedral, shopping, medieval-filled morning!

Toledos Plaza Mayor
Toledo's Plaza Mayor
My very own armored warrior
My very own armored warrior
Toledo: The medieval-style sword I…
Toledo: The medieval-style sword …
photo by: ellechic