Budapest Travel Blog

On our final day in Budapest, we spent a more lazy morning catching up on rest, before heading out for the day.  On an earlier day we had gone to a wonderful coffee house, called Cafe Alibi, and I very much wanted to go back; so we returned there for a final visit.

We then headed out towards Varosliget, which is the city park.  It's a little bit further out, but really, really worth a visit.  Some of it isn't very fancy, but it's a lovely place to talk a long walk.  We loved it.  It's also where you'll find Vajdahunyad Castle, which is, if you ask me, a MUST SEE if you are in Budapest.  It was built between 1896 and 1908, and different parts of the castle look totally different than other parts, because they represent different types and styles of Hungarian architecture.  One of the wings is facing a small lake, and to my understanding, (take it with a grain of salt, not sure if my source is correct), there is a castle in Transylvania named Castle of Vajdahunyad, and that's what this castle was named after, and that's what that wing was copied after.

There are also some very interesting statues here.  My favorite was the Statue of Anonymous, and the face is hidden in his monk's hood.  Very haunting.

I can't recommend a stop here enough if you are in Budapest.

Budapest Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
This WONDERFUL cafe in Budapest serves fantastic coffee, and the best hot chocolate I've had to this day.  It is small and lovely, and had a grea… read entire review
Budapest Hotels & Accommodations review
I stayed in this hotel for just short of a week in 2002, and it was a great experience.  This hotel doesn't look so special from the outside, but… read entire review
photo by: Chokk