Arrive in Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

Early in the morning, we took a British Airways flight from London to Vienna.  (I've never had a bad British Airways flight).  I was hoping for a view of the Alps as we passed over them, since I've never seen them; but the day was overcast and cloudy, and so that was not to be.

Once we landed, we took the bus from the airport to the Westbahnhof, which is the West Train Station.  These buses take off about every 30 minutes from in front of the airport, and only cost just under 6 Euros.  It's a nice easy way to get into town.  From the Westbahnhof, it's easy to take the U-Bahn (metro) or tram to where you want to go.  You may want to get a Vienna Card, which gives unlimited travel for a certain amount of time; 24 hours, 3 days, etc.

It also gives discounts for certain things in town, and we were quite happy with ours.

After getting settled at the hotel, we headed into the city center for the first time, taking the U-Bahn to the Stephansplatz stop, which will put you in the center of Vienna.  As we went up the stairs to ground level, the sight took our breath away; the buildings and architecture were stunning, and as it turned dark, the glow of the lights through the mist of rain was unbelievable.  I couldn’t believe how beautiful it was.  I was in Austria.

We walked through the streets, headed to the Hoffburg Complex.  The restaurant we were eating at that night was in the cellar of the Hoffburg.  I have written a review of it below.  It was a fantastic restaurant, and a wonderful time.

After dinner, we walked the streets for a while, enjoying the view of Vienna.  We walked past the Hotel Sacher, home of the famous Sachertorte, but did not go in.  We also found the famous Kleines Coffee House, which I'd always wanted to see.

Finally, cold and tired, we called it a night.

hannajax says:
i was in vienna in 1997, with a dumb film camera that went kaputt on me. yes, the architecture is stunningly beautiful, overwhelmingly so. have little photographic memories of that visit. however, i loved visiting the castles there, one of which was turned into an art museum and held one of my favorite pieces of art..."the kiss," by gustav klimt. (i believe this was castle belvedere) what i remember most from that trip was the composer's cemetery, where we visited Beethoven and Brahms, as well as kneeling on a monument to Mozart - for I wager that no one knows where the poor man is actually buried.
Posted on: Sep 28, 2006
Vienna Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
On our first night in Vienna, we went to this amazing restaurant that is actually housed in the wine cellar of the Hofburg Complex.  It's right… read entire review
Vienna