Holbrook Travel Blog

Petrified Forest

Today we left cold Gallup.
The night was horrible as the KOA kamp ground was located in between a busy railroad track and a highway. Not fun.
If we could rate this kamp ground then it would get a low mark.

Anyway, we left Gallup and tried to drive Route 66 again, only to find out that Route 66 isn't paved very well everywhere.
We've decided to head back a little and drive the highway instead.

Not too long after we could take the exit to Petrified Forest / Painted Desert.
It's a national park, located in Arizona.
This park has lots of things to see, mostly landscapes in all different shapes and colours.
Very beautiful.
Especially in the Painted Desert part.

When you enter the Petrified Forest part (located south of the highway) you see a whole different landscape.
The nice thing is that you can walk a few trails.
They are not too long, but they'll take you down to some nice locations.
The weather was pretty good. Blue sky, not a lot of wind.
At some points we could even walk in jus a T-shirt!

During our vacation we've seen many people already wearing shorts and T-shirts.
I think that is a bit over reacted as there are still some cold winds and the temperature can drop when the wind blows.
How long will it take for these people to get a cold?

At our last stop at the park we've walked through some old trees which are petrified. Millions of years ago I presume, as the trees must have existed already for a couple of hundreds years, before they died and were covered with soil. I mean, these trees are very long and have quite the diameter.

At the giftshop my dad got himself a cool Route 66 cap, my mom a sweet Route 66 T-shirt and I got myself a nice turqouise coloured bracelet.

From the national park we drove to Holbrook, to camp at the KOA.
Here we've found out another Dutch couple was staying. A couple who we have seen before a couple of days ago at another kamp ground.
Talking about a coincidence.

This kamp ground seems to be a quiet one. The rail road is far far away, we only have a highway nearby, but it doesn't seem to make too much noise.

Holbrook