Day 9: Uruapan - Pátzcuaro - Guadalajara

Patzcuaro Travel Blog

Patzcuaro

I woke up at 6 in the morning, going crazy of the pain of my sunburnt face. It would have been easy enough to put a little after sun lotion on my face last night, or better still, wrap a moist towel around my head. But I had never thought of it and was paying the price.

I decided to get a moist towel after all, but I could barely move. From my ankles to my neck all muscles were stuck. O joy, tell me again why I went horseback riding yesterday?

Perhaps I should have showered before retiring to bed? Wouldn't have been a bad idea actually, looking at the amount of sand and dirt on my skin.

So I got out of bed and spent an hour or so under a lukewarm shower. After that I was able to move again.

I packed my bags and took a taxi to the bus station where I dropped by luggage in a safety deposit.

Patzcuaro
Before going back to Guadalajara I wanted to visit another village, Pátzcuaro. This is a nice little mountain town where almost the entire centre still consists of authentic Spanish colonial buildings.

What mainly surprised me here in Pátzcuaro was the amount of tourists. I've been in Mexico for more than a week now, and apart from the French couple last night I hadn't seen a single tourist. And here in Pátzcuaro the streets were teeming with shorts with white legs underneath and baseball caps on top.
And I walked around wearing my sweater, long sleeves, collar standing up to protect my sunburnt neck, sunglasses on my nose, stumbling bent through the streets. Hmmm, perhaps you look less like an idiot with shorts and a baseball cap.

I felt awful, and for that reason I couldn't care less about the city, really.

Fried Biedjee
My skin was burning like hell, I could barely move because of my aching muscles and I felt really really sick. Ah, the joys of travelling.

Pátzcuaro is a nice city though, and definitely worth a visit. If I hadn't felt so bad I would really have liked to spend the rest of the day here, but I just couldn't. I managed to brave the pains for about an hour and then I took the bus back to Uruapan, and continued on to Guadalajara.

Back in Guadalajara Miryam was really worried about me, and David was laughing out loud. I would laugh about it all myself, if only laughing wouldn't hurt so much.

photo by: Biedjee