Day 83: Puerto Jiménez - Golfito - David - Boquete (1)

Golfito Travel Blog

our 'bus' to the border
The next day we crossed the Bahia Dulce with a little ferry, arriving in the town of Golfito from which we could find onward transportation to the Panamese border.

We met a group of Americans and Canadians, and shared a minibus to the border. Well, minibus, it was rather a converted Toyota land cruiser, which could seat 6 people in the back.

It was interesting meeting these Americans. Not so much the fact that they were American, but the fact that they were here, travelling by public transportation rather than a tour bus. All over Central America Americans are the least likely tourists you meet. Except for Costa Rica which is just teeming with them. I mentioned this before. But these were not the type of pensioners or group tourists we had met elsewhere, these were backpackers just like us. One of them told us he'd been in Costa Rica for four months already. Four months? Blimey, I'm jealous, we only have two weeks in the country. So where did you go? What did you see?

"well, Puerto Jiménez was the first we really visited, we are now going to Bocas del Toro for a couple of days before heading home. We spent the past four months on a beach in Quepos surfing, dude"

I tried not to look at Arnaud as he said this, fearing another outburst of stereotype hysteria could ruin the rest of today's journey. Hey, I know Costa Rica is one of the world's prime surf destinations, and I definitely don't blame them for doing some surfing, but spending twelve weeks out of a thirteen week vacation in one place? Costa Rica is a fantastic country, with stunning volcanoes, rainforest, wildlife and an interesting history to boot. So to spend four months in the country and do nothing but surfing seems a bit of an, erm, waste, really.

Then again, many of my fellow countrymen visit places like France, Spain or Italy every summer, and rarely venture further than the beach or hotel swimming pool. So who am I judging?

At the border it turned out some of them had issues with their papers and they were denied entry into Panama. Because we had no idea how long it would take Arnaud and I decided to split, and we chartered another bus to the town of David. From here we took another bus to the mountain town Boquete.

our bus to the border