Day 67: Granada - Isla de Ometepe (1)

San Jorge Travel Blog

Isla de Ometepe in Lago Nicaragua

Together with an American girl I'd met at the hostel last night I travelled to the town of Rivas, from where we took a taxi to the port of San Jorge.

San Jorge is the gateway to Lago Nicaragua, the largest lake in Central America. My goal was the island Isla de Ometepe, an island formed by two volcanic peaks, where I intended to spend the next couple of days.

The ferry to the island was an old, battered barge, which looked as if it could sink any minute, something only invigorated by the fact that it was loaded to the max and the boat was keeling over dangerously to one side.

A small comfort was that there seemed to be plenty of life jackets on board, even though I had no idea how the hundreds of passengers would ever be able to get a life jacket on in the cramped passengers cabin and make a safe exit to the water. Ah well, best not to worry too much about those things.

I liked watching the hustle and bustle at the docks. And it surprised me too, that so much cargo was brought on to the ship, considering the island is only 30 kilometres away, less than 1000 people live there, and there are three ferries daily.

I had a great time on the hour-long ferry crossing. The weather was gorgeous, as was the view of the island as we approached it.

the boat to Isla de Ometepe
the boat to Isla de Ometepe
boarding the ferry to Isla de Omet…
boarding the ferry to Isla de Ome…
on the boat to Isla de Ometepe