Day 66: Estelí - Managua - Granada (2)

Granada Travel Blog

the streets of Granada

Granada on the other hand was a terrific little city. It reminded me of Antigua Guatemala, not just because of its colonial looks, but also in the way that Guatemala has a very similar situation where the capital is largely skipped by visitors, in favour of a nearby colonial city.

I booked myself into a hostel in the centre of the city, with the uninspired name Hospedaje Central. 3 bucks for a mattress on the floor in a dorm - I've had worse deals.

There was a great laid-back atmosphere in the hostel. There is a great patio with a bar, where travellers hang out and mingle. There were quite a few Dutch backpackers, which surprised me as I'd hardly met any Dutch since Guatemala.

Friday night is the night when Granadinos go out to party, and today was Valentine's day, which made it extra special. The entire centre was packed with people, and there were bands playing salsa and meringue on every street corner, while cold beer and mojitos were served everywhere.

The place reminded me more of Cuba than of anywhere else I'd seen in Latin America. It was a great (and late) night out.

Cathedral in Granada
Cathedral in Granada
Cathedral in Granada (apparently i…
Cathedral in Granada (apparently …
photo by: monoli