Day 66: Estelí - Managua - Granada (1)

Managua Travel Blog

Once again it was difficult travelling. I was able to get a direct bus to Managua, but progress was really slow as it stopped in every little village on the way. In Managua I had to take a taxi to the other end of town for my onwards transportation to Granada.

Managua is the capital of Nicaragua, and most guidebooks have only one advice to give to travellers visiting the city: leave!

Ever since the earthquake of 1972, which devastated the city, the city has been decentralised and holds little of interest for visitors. On top of that it is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world, although I guess such claim is to be taken with a healthy pinch of salt. That said, I met a couple of Dutch guys later that night, and they were telling me how they'd been robbed at gun point in Managua the night before.

Anyway, as the place was said to hold little of interest for visitors, and I was crossing the entire country in a span of only 4 days, I figured Managua would not be a place to spend much time and I took a taxi to the other end of the city to find transportation on to Granada.

The taxi trip took more than an hour. This city is huge! And with the danger of earthquakes still imminent, there doesn't seem to be a building higher than three stories in the entire city, so we spent a good hour driving through sprawling suburban areas, with not a single landmark to orientate on. Meanwhile the taxi driver told me how well I did leaving the city immediately. “Nothing for you here, my friend, nothing but gangs and prostitutes”. Hmm, don't think I have ever met anyone in Latin America who was not in some way proud of his hometown. Must be a really bad place then.

Makes you wonder though, if all visitors arriving in Managua are advised to take the next bus out of the city again on to Granada. Wouldn't it make sense to have the buses to Granada depart from the same station as where the buses from the north arrive?

pms70 says:
Nah, that would rob the taxi drivers of their income!
Posted on: Jun 05, 2009