Day 65: Tegucigalpa - Danlí - Las Manos - Estelí (3)

Esteli Travel Blog

Altogether the border crossing had taken almost two hours, and by the time I walked across the no-man's land in between the countries, and entered through Nicaraguan customs (no issues here) the connecting bus to León had already left.

I spent an hour waiting for onwards transportation and finally a minibus showed up which could bring me to the town of Ocotal.

In Ocotal I was able to find an onwards bus to Estelí, where I arrived at dusk. I figured it would be no use trying to reach León today. By the time I'd get there it would be well after dark, so no point going there really.

So I ended up staying in Estelí, which I must say is quite a nice town actually. I found a great, friendly hospedaje, which charged only a couple of bucks for a room with shared shower and toilet. In fact, this was probably the best place I'd stayed in since La Palma.

I wandered around town for a while, but most places were rather deserted after dark. Ended up having dinner in a nameless place serving rather nondescript food, but they served ice cold beer to wash it down with.

I was pissed off that today had been completely lost. I'd spent all day travelling less than 250 kilometres (in 6 different buses!) and had not seen anything all day.

Sure, it was nice a travelling experience, and sure, it can always happen that some setbacks occur every once in a while. But why did this have to happen in a country where I only have 4 days?

Esteli