Day 58: Utila

Utila Travel Blog

Utila

I started the first day of my diving course with a very extensive instruction on equipment, after which I spent the next couple of hours in the swimming pool for exercise. Ken, the Irish fellow who would become my dive buddy for the next couple of days, had had these lessons yesterday, so I received accelerated private lessons so that we would be on the same level by lunch time.

After lunch we had our first lessons together, doing more exercise, however, this time at open sea at a depth of 5 metres. Normally the first one or two days of an Open Water course are spent in the swimming pool, but because the waters around Utila are so calm and clear, they try to do as many of the lessons in open water.

That same afternoon we made our first dive proper, to a depth or 12 metres.

the diving boat
This was a dive without any exercise or technique, just to get the feeling of diving and look at some fishes.

Zoe was very satisfied with us. She even went as far as calling me a natural, because on the first day I was already able to float neutrally buoyant underwater.

The only thing that didn't go as well was descending, but this was something I already knew. I have very sensitive ears and have trouble equalising the pressure. Where an average person only needs a minute or so to equalise, it takes me a full 5 minutes to descend the first 10 metres (which is the worst part, as the pressure doubles in the first 10 metres).

But apart from the trouble with my ears I felt like a fish in the water when I was, uh, in the water.

And in between the dives, in the afternoon and at night I had to read my book, watch instructional videos and do tests. Definitely the lesser part of diving.

photo by: Yoshu