Day 56: La Palma – Nuevo Ocotepeque – La Entrada -Copán Ruinas (3)

Copan Travel Blog

statue in Copán

The next five hours I spent in three different buses, getting to the town of Copán Ruinas, a town named after the nearby ruins of Copán (duh).

It was one of the longer days of travelling this trip, but I enjoyed every single moment of it. As I had all day to get to Copán I only travelled by chicken bus, changing at the towns of Nuevo Ocepeque and La Entrada. Throughout the day I had tremendous fun with the local kids on the bus, as well as nice conversations with their parents. It is really obvious that I am way off the gringo trail now; the people respond so differently to tourists.

Well, that all changed in the late afternoon of course, as Copán is the most visited tourist destination of Honduras. They are close to the border with Guatemala and easily visited as a two-day trip from that country.

Copán
When I was in Guatemala with my sister we had decided to skip these ruins in favour of a jungle trek, which in hindsight was the right decision. Not only were these the most expensive ruins I had visited this entire trip, (10 dollars entrance, 7 dollars for the museum and another 12 dollars if you wanted to visit the tunnels dug out by archaeologists underneath the temples) but they were also the most disappointing.

I had planned to spend all day tomorrow at these ruins, however, when you buy a ticket after 4 PM it is also valid the next day, so I decided to make the most of the last few hours of daylight and start exploring some of the ruins already.

45 minutes later I had seen the lot of it. Copán is famous for its many statues and reliefs on the temple walls. All very nice, but compared to the impressive temples of Tikal and Calakmul not overly impressive. I guess it was mostly ruin fatigue, as I'd seen so many ruins this trip, but none of what I saw could really fascinate me.

The town itself was a nice, miniature version of Antigua. Very touristic, but with much more atmosphere. I bumped into two Canadian girls who I'd met earlier in Tikal and at the Finca Ixobel. It's a small world :-)

The three of us went for a nice little dinner in an, erm, authentic pizza restaurant.

statue in Copán
detail of sculpted staircase on te…
detail of sculpted staircase on t…
temples of Copán