Day 56: La Palma – Nuevo Ocotepeque – La Entrada -Copán Ruinas (1)

La Palma Travel Blog

my pícara (closed)

...a promise which I didn't keep... I had honestly planned to buy something at their shops, but I woke up at 6.30, while the coperativo would not open until 9. There was a little souvenir shop opposite my hotel, which was just opening when I returned from breakfast, so I decided to do my shopping here instead, so that I could take an earlier bus to the Honduran border.

At this shop they had the usual Llort knick-knacks, but also another typical Salvadorian souvenir: a típica. This is a small, clay object, usually an apple, orange, walnut, tomato, or something like that, which can be opened and inside is a minuscule clay representation of a scene of everyday Salvadorian life (a farmer working the land, or a guy in the office). But even more fun is a special variety to the típica, the so-called pícara. This is similar to a típica, only with a different sort of everyday scene (rather an everynight scene, if you know what I mean). It won't surprise anyone that this is the type of souvenir I bought.

This being a very conservative part of El Salvador, these pícaras were not on general display in the store, but had to be asked for specifically at the counter, in hush hush tones.

I felt every bit the pervert for asking about them :-)

Biedjee says:
Yup, they gave it to me packed in really non-descript packaging :-)
Posted on: Apr 30, 2009
oldschoolbill says:
Did it come in a plain brown Wraper??
Posted on: Apr 30, 2009